Works refuting Roman Catholicism

Status
Not open for further replies.

monoergon

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello,
I would like to know what are some of the greatest works of the 20th and 21st centuries that refutes the main Roman Catholic dogmas (such as church government and the Pope's office, worshipping and praying to the saints, etc.).

Thank you

The Bible! But I would have to agree with the poster above that recommended James White. White has done so much research and his work has been a true blessing to the Church.

Matt Slick over at the Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry has some pretty amazing articles refuting Catholicism from a Scriptural standpoint. So do the good folks at gotquestions.org (these guys are 21st century).

As far as philosophical works go, I can't think of anything written recently, but Jonathan Edwards wrote a great deal about faith and works in the 1700s (I know it's the 18th century, but still, his arguments are still used today).

I also would like to add R.C. Sproul and the good folks at Ligonier Ministries. I also think John MacArthur has written some excellent refutations against Catholicism.

Basically anything James White has written on Catholicism.
https://www.amazon.com/James-R.-White/e/B001IXS25S

This book was a tremendous help to me.

This man, Richard Bennett, is a former priest who is passionate about exposing the errors of Roman Catholicism through a Scriptural lens: http://www.bereanbeacon.org/
There is a lot of information on there so I can't say how vouch for how Reformed his thinking is but at the absolute worst you can get lots of good background on where Catholicism falls short.

There is a guy who I believe is still considered active on PB. His name is dudley. He is a former Catholic who is extremely passionate in exposing Catholic error and promoting the Protestant faith. You could probably message him for links and information.

Basically anything James White has written on Catholicism.
https://www.amazon.com/James-R.-White/e/B001IXS25S

This book was a tremendous help to me.

This man, Richard Bennett, is a former priest who is passionate about exposing the errors of Roman Catholicism through a Scriptural lens: http://www.bereanbeacon.org/
There is a lot of information on there so I can't say how vouch for how Reformed his thinking is but at the absolute worst you can get lots of good background on where Catholicism falls short.

There is a guy who I believe is still considered active on PB. His name is dudley. He is a former Catholic who is extremely passionate in exposing Catholic error and promoting the Protestant faith. You could probably message him for links and information.

I forgot about Richard Bennett!
He is a Reformed Baptist, attends a Reformed Baptist Church. He did a sermon on how Arminianism and easy believism is the road back to Rome.

If you can find it, Lorraine Boettner's book Roman Catholicism has some good stuff in it, particularly regarding doctrine. However, the timeline at the start of the book showing when various Romish practices began has been debunked by Catholics. Also, the church described in it is the pre-Vatican II church, which was far stricter than the post-Vatican II church and its ecumenism.

I know it's not from the 20th or 21st century, but the best book I've come across refuting Romanism is A Manual of Romish Controversy by Anglican minister Richard Paul Blakeney. It is available for free at the Internet Archive. Since the book was written before 1870 when papal infallibility was proclaimed a dogma, it outlines the various views of infallibility at that time, showing that the Romish claim that the church has always believed in papal infallibility is nonsense.

If you can find it, Lorraine Boettner's book Roman Catholicism has some good stuff in it, particularly regarding doctrine. However, the timeline at the start of the book showing when various Romish practices began has been debunked by Catholics. Also, the church described in it is the pre-Vatican II church, which was far stricter than the post-Vatican II church and its ecumenism.

I know it's not from the 20th or 21st century, but the best book I've come across refuting Romanism is A Manual of Romish Controversy by Anglican minister Richard Paul Blakeney. It is available for free at the Internet Archive. Since the book was written before 1870 when papal infallibility was proclaimed a dogma, it outlines the various views of infallibility at that time, showing that the Romish claim that the church has always believed in papal infallibility is nonsense.

Great! I was looking for something like that! I can't until I read that book :book2:

Also a good resource on Roman Catholicism is Dr James White's debates with Roman Catholics. You can watch them on YouTube or download them from SermonAudio. As a former papist I have found them to be very helpful in refuting popery.

Another book to read after you've finished the Blakeney one is The Variations of Popery. Published in 1849 and available free from the Internet Archive, it lists the various positions of the Roman church on certain issues, such as the papacy, and shows that the view that the Romanists hold today is but one of many held in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back