Works of William Perkins vol. 9 is now available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
93DCoverforweb.png

The Works of William Perkins vol. 9 is now available! This is a particularly interesting volume. Volume 9 contains some unique treatises.

I personally found the first treatise, The True Manner of Knowing Christ Crucified quite convicting. Here is one of many quotes that stood out to me:

The serious consideration of this, that the very Son of God Himself
suffered all the pains and torments of hell on the cross for our sins, is the
proper and most effectual means to stir up our hearts to a godly sorrow for
them. And that this thing may come to pass, every man must be settled without
doubt that he was the man that crucified Christ; that he is to be blamed as
well as Judas, Herod, Pontius Pilate, and the Jews; and that his sins were the
nails, spears, and thorns that pierced Him. When this meditation begins to
take place, bitterness of spirit with wailing and mourning takes place in like
manner. “And they shall look upon him whom they have pierced, and they shall
lament for him as one lamenteth for his only son” (Zech. 12:10). Peter, in his
first sermon, struck the Jews as with a thunderclap from heaven when he said
unto them, “Ye have crucified the Lord of glory,” so as at the same time three
thousand men were pricked in their hearts, and said, “Men and brethren, what
shall we do to be saved?” (Acts 2:37). Again, if Christ shed His heart blood for
our sins, and if our sins made Him sweat water and blood, oh then, why should
not we ourselves shed bitter tears, and why should not our hearts bleed for
them? He who finds himself so dull and hardened that the passion of Christ
does not humble him is in a lamentable case, for there is no faith in the death
of Christ effectual in him as yet.

William Perkins. A Declaration of the True Manner of Knowing Christ Crucified, In The Works of William Perkins, Grand Rapids, MI: Reformation Heritage Books, 2020, Vol. 9:13.

The treatise on the Government of the Tongue is as relevant today as when he wrote it.
You would be hard-pressed to find a more practical theologian than Perkins.

The last two treatises Perkins deals with witchcraft and fortunetelling. These two treatises are sadly more relevant to our day than one might first imagine. We are seeing a large movement of younger women getting into witchcraft and Wicca. I have personally come into contact with women practicing these abominations on multiple occasions.

The publisher's description:

This ninth volume brings together nine of Perkins’s lesser known practical treatises and, by so doing, introduces the reader to important facets of his religion of the heart.

It opens with two works on what it means to look to Christ: A Declaration of the True Manner of Knowing Christ Crucified and The True Gain.

This is followed by A Faithful and Plain Exposition upon Zephaniah 2:1–2, which gives an earnest call to repentance, and The Nature and Practice of Repentance as well as The Combat of the Flesh and Spirit, which give systematic explanations of the doctrine of repentance.

A Treatise of Man’s Imaginations discusses man’s desperate need for renewal of mind.

A Direction for the Government of the Tongue According to God’s Word argues that one’s speech is the most significant change related to a renewed heart.

The volume finishes with A Discourse of the Damned Art of Witchcraft and A Resolution to the Country Man on Prognostication, which rebuke those who dally with occult practices.

Each treatise in this volume occupies an important place in Perkins’s experiential piety—what he himself described as “the more sincere profession of religion.”

https://bit.ly/Perkins9

Thanks Robert. You guys are too quick. I'm still working on Volume 1!

I am happy to hear that you are reading Perkins no matter the volume. He is a personal favorite.I've said this many times before, Perkins's importance is unfathomable. If the Lord opens the door for me to pursue a Ph.D., Perkins is a top contender for my focus.

We were trying to crank the last volumes out to have them complete in time for our first annual Puritan Conference this summer. Due to the current events, that conference is postponed to next year. Either way, I am grateful the completed works of Perkins will be available to the Church. This also means much of our resources are freed up for the next major project, The Complete Works of Samuel Rutherford!

As I've been recently reading much Cotton Mather along with some history on the Salem Witch Trials, I am interested in reading Perkins' "A Discourse of the Damned Art of Witchcraft."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back