Work of the Holy Spirit in the OT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madavilla

Puritan Board Freshman
Where can I find good references to the work of the Holy Spirit in the OT? Specific questions like:

1. Did the Holy Spirit indwell believers in the OT?
2. What is the difference between the work of the Holy Spirit in the OT compared to the NT?
3. What was the purpose of Jesus sending the Spirit compared to what the Spirit was doing prior?

Stuff like that. Does your theology (Covenantal vs. Dispensationalism) make a difference?

Thanks!
Miguel

Where can I find good references to the work of the Holy Spirit in the OT? Specific questions like:

1. Did the Holy Spirit indwell believers in the OT?
Yes, 1 Peter 1:11

2. What is the difference between the work of the Holy Spirit in the OT compared to the NT?
The essential operations are the same: the scope is different. But most importantly, in the OT it was about preservation and preparation. Now, the great day of the Spirit has come. It is about sowing and harvesting.

3. What was the purpose of Jesus sending the Spirit compared to what the Spirit was doing prior?
"The Spirit of God in the Old Testament" by B.B. Warfield, that should answer most of your questions. It can be found in the little Calvary Press book, The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit, or online at the link provided.

Stuff like that. Does your theology (Covenantal vs. Dispensationalism) make a difference?

Thanks!
Miguel
Dispensationalists often give very different answers, but I don't know that in all forms of dispensationalism it's necessarily tied to dispensational distinctives. Some dispensationalists believe that in the OT the Spirit did not indwell anyone, and this would have implications for their doctrine of regeneration as well.

Ruben, thanks so much for your response. Your 1 Peter 1:11 verse helps, but how do I refute the view that only applied to OT writers as opposed to all believers?
I have heard 2 Peter 1:19-21 affirms their view. I agree that the Holy Spirit indwelt all believers in the OT, but others disagree with me because of the mention of the Sprit leaving and returning. Any help with that?

Also could you expound a little more on your answer to question #2? What do you mean by "Now, the great day of the Spirit has come?"

Thanks!
Miguel

John 14:15-17
"If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever — 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you
NKJV

The Holy Spirit dwelt WITH his people in the OC....but in the NC he dwells within.

Miguel, I think the article I linked to by Warfield has most of the answers. If after you read it you still have questions (and no one else has weighed in), maybe you could bump this thread on Monday? I've a lot to do tomorrow....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back