Work by Remonstrants pertaining to Ruling Elders, 1612?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Gillespie interpreting Voetius, says the latter is refering in the quote pictured to something by the Dutch Remonstrants that address and defend the office of ruling elder. It looks like some sort of polity of a particular province circa 1612. Any ideas? I'm pretty stumped. There is a reference to a letter of Socinus and this reference begins at the "& cum illo" I think.
SocinusRemonstrants1612.png

"And the Remonstrants who, in the year 1612, conceived the church order in the Province of Utrecht". I don't know where one would find the 1612 Utrecht Book of Church Order, but that seems to be what needs to be found.

Bob, can you confirm the section starting lower down on the linked page is "the ruling elder" or something similar and basically summarize the topics of the five paragraphs for me? Many thanks.
There was thankfully a good index in the back. This may be it on bottom of this page: https://books.google.com/books?id=4CZHAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA13-IA1#v=onepage&q&f=false
I can read that, is there anything in particular you are looking for Chris?

Of Elders

1: A declaration of the necessity for large Churches to have certain “fruitful teachers and shepherds” to help grow and sustain congregations. Interesting that it does single out large congregations and not all congregations.

2: A list of qualifications. Strong in the Word, well respected in the community, peaceful, caring for the poor, ect. It also mentions a reevaluation every two years.

3: The duty of the Elders to assist the ministers and other office bearers with anything they need to assure fruitful preaching.

4: That elders are to deal with small matters within their own congregations, but that weightier issues within the Reformed tradition are to be discussed and voted on at Synods.

5: This paragraph is not making much sense to me... I think it is something about multiple qualified persons is to be preferred over a single person who is a tradesman.

Of Elders

1: A declaration of the necessity for large Churches to have certain “fruitful teachers and shepherds” to help grow and sustain congregations. Interesting that it does single out large congregations and not all congregations.

2: A list of qualifications. Strong in the Word, well respected in the community, peaceful, caring for the poor, ect. It also mentions a reevaluation every two years.

3: The duty of the Elders to assist the ministers and other office bearers with anything they need to assure fruitful preaching.

4: That elders are to deal with small matters within their own congregations, but that weightier issues within the Reformed tradition are to be discussed and voted on at Synods.

5: This paragraph is not making much sense to me... I think it is something about multiple qualified persons is to be preferred over a single person who is a tradesman.
Thanks Bob; that clearly has to be the place intended. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back