Woman with short skirt leading worship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rescued

Puritan Board Freshman
(Edited) I read through previous posts about this topic and wanted to explain what i saw from an RPCNA church's Facebook homepage. A woman with a short skirt "precenting" before the congregation. Doesn't seem to be appropriate. Any further thoughts besides those already made? I apologize for attaching a picture previously.

Last edited:
Please allow me to be frank:

Your post is embarrassing. Where in scripture does it command that all dresses have to go below the knees? Was she leading singing or acting as minister? Lastly, why would you post a photograph of a woman you actually thought was inappropriately dressed? If I were her husband or father, I would be furious.

Please see Matt. 15:9.

By the way she is precenting, not leading worship. The Pastor behind her is leading worship as an undershepherd of Christ.

This discussion, while perhaps worthwhile, might be conducted somewhat more appropriately. For a start, I can’t imagine this congregation taking kindly to their photos being made subject for critique online.

Try asking a question instead, ie. “Is it ever appropriate for a woman to stand at the front of a church and lead worship?” (However, I think she is precenting.)

This discussion, while perhaps worthwhile, might be conducted somewhat more appropriately. For a start, I can’t imagine this congregation taking kindly to their photos being made subject for critique online.

Try asking a question instead, ie. “Is it ever appropriate for a woman to stand at the front of a church and lead worship?” (However, I think she is precenting.)
Once you post a picture on your Facebook homepage you're subjecting it to public critique

Please allow me to be frank:

Your post is embarrassing. Where in scripture does it command that all dresses have to go below the knees? Was she leading singing or acting as minister? Lastly, why would you post a photograph of a woman you actually thought was inappropriately dressed? If I were her husband or father, I would be furious.

Please see Matt. 15:9.
It says modest apparel. Halfway up your thigh isn't modest

Do you make a habit of posting immodest images that could lead others into sin? (Assuming that your argument about her being dressed inappropriately is correct, of course.)

The picture was publicly posted by that church so ask them why they did it. I could have just as easily posted a link to the page. The reactions I'm getting to this post are proving my point to be accurate

While I would have issues with both dress and actions if done by my own wife or daughters. Something seems weird (in my gut) about posting and queuing up a potentially inappropriate photo of a women and asking for critique on the dress by mostly men.

Maybe for discussion this could be generalized and the photo removed.

Example:

1. Is a mid-thigh dress appropriate for church?

2. Should a women serve as Precentor?

While I would have issues with both dress and actions if done by my own wife or daughters. Something seems weird about posting and queuing up a potentially inappropriate photo of a women and asking for critique on the dress by mostly men.

Maybe for discussion this could be generalized and the photo removed.

Example:

1. Is a mid thought dress appropriate for church?

2. Should a women serve as Precentor?
I removed the pic and adjusted the post. Good catch. I had no intentions of putting anyone to shame.

I’m sure there are plenty of resources here on the Puritan Board.

At the same time, there is what many would refer to as common decency. You could have done this better. Even now, why not ask the mods to delete the thread so you can pose a question instead?
I adjusted it and removed the pic

I grew up in the miniskirt era, so I'm probably not as shocked by such attire as you younger folks, but I would say that mid-calf is far more appropriate than mid thigh for a lady leading the singing. Since the picture is gone, I can't comment on the particulars of this instance.

If Christ says to look upon a woman lustfully is adulterous, then according to the rules of godliness is it then appropriate to stand in front of men during worship in apparel that reveals so much of her body?

Two separate issues.

1. It's not appropriate for her to stand in front of men during worship (in this manner) no matter what she's wearing.
2. Outside of this context, there's nothing wrong with what she's wearing.

On a woman leading: In churches of this heritage, a precentor is typically seen as having a functional role rather than a spiritual leadership role. Someone needs to get the congregation started on the right key and keep everyone on the same beat, so a member of the congregation does this. It is not unusual for these churches to have both men and women serve as precentors. In fact, doing so only serves to clarify the fact that the job is not one of spiritual oversight—not "leading worship," just helping fellow worshipers stay on the same beat. Keep in mind that the function is found mostly in churches that sing without instruments, so you're already talking about a highly traditional church that takes worship's conformity to Scripture very seriously. I know that from where I stand, I would not want to be throwing stones at an RPCNA congregation alleging laxness in worship standards. The whole idea is rather comical.

On short skirts: I see little benefit in bringing up the matter on the Internet, and much potential harm. I'd like to suggest that all of us men think twice (or maybe three or four times) before ever raising such concerns. Sadly, women who want only to worship from the heart are too often judged by men on their outward appearance. Frankly, most of the time when this happens, it says more about the man than it does about the woman.

Keep in mind, this is the reformed denomination that does have women officers of the church. I haven’t seen the picture, but we don’t know if the woman leading the congregation is an officer or not.

On a woman leading: In churches of this heritage, a precentor is typically seen as having a functional role rather than a spiritual leadership role. Someone needs to get the congregation started on the right key and keep everyone on the same beat, so a member of the congregation does this. It is not unusual for these churches to have both men and women serve as precentors. In fact, doing so only serves to clarify the fact that the job is not one of spiritual oversight—not "leading worship," just helping fellow worshipers stay on the same beat. Keep in mind that the function is found mostly in churches that sing without instruments, so you're already talking about a highly traditional church that takes worship's conformity to Scripture very seriously. I know that from where I stand, I would not want to be throwing stones at an RPCNA congregation alleging laxness in worship standards. The whole idea is rather comical.

On short skirts: I see little benefit in bringing up the matter on the Internet, and much potential harm. I'd like to suggest that all of us men think twice (or maybe three or four times) before ever raising such concerns. Sadly, women who want only to worship from the heart are too often judged by men on their outward appearance. Frankly, most of the time when this happens, it says more about the man than it does about the woman.
No you're right, we shouldn't be concerned about causing others to lust ot stumble. And we shouldn't pursue holiness and godliness.

I do not deny that you may criticise something in the public domain. The issue is that it makes little sense to complain about immodesty but then to share an immodest image. In order to offer a critique of it, you are going to have to unnecessarily look at something that could cause you to stumble. It is the sort of gossipy hypocrisy that the Daily Mail engages in constantly.

This thread is an embarrassment to the name of Christ. Many of the responses to the original post are precisely why the American Church is in shambles. Some of y'all don't even see how far gone your comments reveal your thinking to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back