WLC 136 and Organ Donation/Transplantation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, what if you give one of two redundant organs, but the following week the one left fails and then you need an organ donor?

The other question is relevant too: if you were dying, should you accept an organ transplant? Is it a necessary means which, if available, you should use?

Although I am for organ donation I am not for, forcing it or expecting it from everyone. Nor would I think it ethical, myself think it ethical, to bring into the world a child to simply harvest or take an organ from them. To me, to give and to take are two different things. As would be the forcing of it upon someone. Some people are like in the scripture where it talks about stronger and weaker brothers eating meat or not eating meat. One who does eat should not condemn the one who does not and like wise the one who does not... Some would find the idea of being an organ donator not hard, some would find it hard and not be one. I don't see it as a moral duty, but one of choice based upon a persons own convictions such as those who do or don't eat meat. I would never call into question anyone's choice in the matter.

The other question is relevant too: if you were dying, should you accept an organ transplant? Is it a necessary means which, if available, you should use?

I think that is a really good question in light of the confession. In healthcare these days we have designations such as "allow natural death" is that notion, contradictory to the idea of "the neglecting or withdrawing the lawful and necessary means of preservation of life"

If it is a moral duty to provide organs for your fellow man (and I would assume that includes less invasive things like blood and bone marrow) does that mean the concept of savior siblings (siblings born for the purpose of providing an organ for a sick sibling) is ethically valid? I mean if providing an organ goes under the responsibility or people to preserve life, then wouldn't it fine for a parent to force one sibling to donate a kidney to another?

I'm utterly unaware of this concept of "savor siblings"; I imagine some have thought of it, or carried out such a plan. Romans 1. That's hair-raising. Do you know of such cases, or are you posing a hypothetical?

That is an excellent take on the issue, Joanna. Bravo. WLC 135 "The duties required in the sixth commandment are, all careful studies, and lawful endeavors, to preserve the life of ourselves and others...". That's what I love about The Standards--they force us to think carefully about significant issues. Both WLC 135 and 136 are germane to this discussion. I do not think organ donation/transplantation is either required or forbidden by either question. I do assert that those questions force us to ponder a controversial topic. As a pastor, the model I use is the "pastor as spiritual physician". Ergo, in giving counsel in situations that have more than a bit of opacity to them I first seek to do no harm and deal with cases as circumspectly as possible.

I'm utterly unaware of this concept of "savor siblings"; I imagine some have thought of it, or carried out such a plan. Romans 1. That's hair-raising. Do you know of such cases, or are you posing a hypothetical?

It sometimes comes up in cases of pediatric chronic illness, where it is suggested that a family go through IVF to produce a child who may be able to donate a kidney to the sick sibling. So I have heard it talked about in medical ethics but I do not know of it actually ever happening. I would probably have to talk to my brother who works at Children's Hospital to see if he knows of any actual cases.

It happens, I don't know how often. In general, it involves the production of several embryos which are then genetically tested and so some would then not be used.

Yes I have heard of saviour siblings. I even saw on a TV program once where the parents did it. It did not sit well with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back