WLC 109 and Revelation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Grace

Puritan Board Junior
109 of the Westminster Larger Catechism, which states in part:

“The sins forbidden in the second commandment are … the making any representation of God, of all or of any of the three persons, either inwardly in our mind, or outwardly in any kind of image or likeness of any creature whatsoever.”

Today we heard a message on Revelation 1 ; 12-20

2 Then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band. 14 His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire; 15 His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters; 16 He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength. 17

This scripture, as well as others that speak of a vision of our Lord, caused me to wonder how to reconcile this with #109? I am sure this has been covered before, but was unable to find any threads after a brief search. Some education is needed for myself on how to view 109 and scriptures that present a visual of the Lord.

Answer: The sins forbidden in the second commandment are, all devising, counseling, commanding, using, and anywise approving, any religious worship not instituted by God himself; tolerating a false religion; the making any representation of God, of all or of any of the three persons, either inwardly in our mind, or outwardly in any kind of image or likeness of any creature:

The answer may be in the rest of the catechism question.

It would seem safe to say, God's Word describing Himself is instituted by God himself.

Interestingly in Daniel 7:9 - 22, the "Ancient of Days" is described in terms that exactly reflect the description of "one like the Son of Man" (i.e. Christ) in Revelation 1.

In Daniel 7:13, "one like the Son of Man" (i.e. Christ) is spoken of as coming before the Ancient of Days (undoubtedly God the Father) as in Revelation 5.

(a) It seems these things teach us once again that Christ is exactly like the Father (Hebrews 1:1-3)

(b) Daniel 7 and Revelation 5 both speak of Christ receiving His Mediatorial Dominion and Glory on His Ascension to Heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back