Wisdom of Solomon/book of wisdom - Theology of the book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timobe

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello everyone !

What are the doctrinal points that are deficient/antibiblical in wisdom of Solomon, the apocrypha coming from the LXX ?

I would really appreciate a clear and full view of the thing by someone who already read it in order to be able to read it aware of his issues.

Be blessed in the name of our almighty God, may his name be blessed forever !

I think Wisdom is quite possibly the best of the apocryphal books, except for the very brief prayer of Manasseh. It exerted a great deal of influence on Augustine, and a lot of what it says is rather wonderful. But it is not, of course, inspired: so while it may reflect the best of believing Jewish reflection on Scripture before the coming of Christ, its statements have to be weighed against Scripture for accuracy. I am not sure on what basis, for instance, 19.21 could be defended. But it is a fascinating book and very helpful for showing the kind of reflection that the apostles could take advantage of in their preaching and teaching.

Last edited:
To evade the right term for everything has been the aim of many poetic schools; it has seldom been attained more effectually than in the poetry of the Norwegian tongue. -W.P. Ker, Epic and Romance

Uff da!

@py3ak : Thank you for your answer ; it's really helping. Plus, I've read the introduction to the book written by the TOB Bible so I've a better view of that book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back