Windows Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Well, today (11/12) is supposed to be the day that Microsoft no longer supports the last version of Windows 10. I have tried repeatedly to download the latest upgrade (Microsoft started sending out warnings about this about a month ago) but, for whatever reason, it won't successfully install.

So, I guess I'm sitting here waiting for my laptop to melt.

Grrr.

Sitting here blissfully enjoying Windows 7 - the second best operating system produced by Microsoft. (The best, of course, being XP).

Sitting here blissfully enjoying Windows 7 - the second best operating system produced by Microsoft. (The best, of course, being XP).
At work I put off upgrading to windows 10 until the absolute last minute. I was the last hold out. IT cornered me.

The new version is Windows 10, Version 1909. I have Windows 10, Version 1803.

Tried downloading it AGAIN today. Nope.

I get all the usual messages: "Don't shut off your computer." "This will take awhile." "Installing updates" with the percentages: 50%, 80%, 100%. Then, the screen goes dark. Stays dark. No messages. No instructions of any kind. After awhile, I start the computer up, and I get: "Undoing updates" (or words to that effect) - taking them all out and putting the machine back where it was.

I've tried waiting several hours before starting the computer again (remember, you get no instructions of any kind). Even after waiting several hours and then starting, I get the same thing: "Undoing updates."

Beats me.

The new version is Windows 10, Version 1909. I have Windows 10, Version 1803.

Never put the latest version of Win10 on your computer. Microsoft doesn't properly test its updates for 10, and they not infrequently cause significant issues.

As for me, I'm fine with updates on Win7 until January. I plan to keep it after that. For most users, old and stable beats cutting edge with issues. The biggest problem with Win10 is the forced buggy updates for home users.

Still using Windows 7 here. I did try the free Windows 10 upgrade but reverted back to Windows 7. I was recently informed by word of mouth that Windows 7's support and updating were going to end soon, if it hasn't already. I am in the dark. I guess I am going to need a new puter someday.

Something forced a reboot last night, and when it came back up, there was a notice that support for 7 would end in January. (January 10, I think it said, but don't hold me to that date as I didn't make note of it.)

I was recently informed by word of mouth that Windows 7's support and updating were going to end soon, if it hasn't already.

As for me, I'm fine with updates on Win7 until January. I plan to keep it after that. For most users, old and stable beats cutting edge with issues. The biggest problem with Win10 is the forced buggy updates for home users.

The trouble is that not all open security vulnerabilities will be fixed before the last release. More will likely be found after the end of life date. No new problems will be added, but no existing problems will go away. Including the ones that haven't been discovered/disclosed yet.

The trouble is that not all open security vulnerabilities will be fixed before the last release. More will likely be found after the end of life date. No new problems will be added, but no existing problems will go away. Including the ones that haven't been discovered/disclosed yet.

I've got a couple of XP machines for dedicated tasks. They aren't connected to the internet so I haven't felt the need to worry.

There's even a windows 95 machine stashed under some other spare hardware that is hopefully looking for something useful to do.

Nevertheless, my main computer is a 5 month old MS Surface Pro. I update regularly and bite my tongue.

I've got a couple of XP machines for dedicated tasks. They aren't connected to the internet so I haven't felt the need to worry.

There's even a windows 95 machine stashed under some other spare hardware that is hopefully looking for something useful to do.

Nevertheless, my main computer is a 5 month old MS Surface Pro. I update regularly and bite my tongue.

That's totally legit. Keeping them disconnected takes away almost all of the risk. There's plenty of Windows XP out there in that form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back