Windows 10 Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Apparently, Windows 10 wants to update my Lenovo laptop. A screen appears over whatever page you're on letting you know about the update. So, I figured now's as good a time as ever, so I clicked on "start."

So, I get the circling dots with the usual update percentages. Also, a message: "this may take awhile" and "your computer will shut down and re-start several times" (I'm paraphrasing).

After awhile with the circling dots, my laptop shut down (completely dark screen), just as the instructions said it would. But, there was no indication given as to how long it would be shut down.

I let nearly TWO FULL HOURS go by - still dark, no messages. So, I figure it's got to be done by now, right? So, I fire up the laptop and a message comes up: "restoring your previous version of Windows 10," which I guess means it wasn't finished with the update yet when I turned it back on!

Has anyone else gone through this? How long does this upgrade take, if even two hours wasn't enough?

"This may take awhile." Indeed.

It would depend upon from what previous version the update is being applied to in this case. Lenovo machines, of which I own two, were some of the last to get the Win 10 update push. They tweak things in their OS distributions and dealing with these issues took some time and collaboration between Lenovo and Microsoft. Both my W520 and Yoga 2 machines took around 90+ minutes to update.

It was not clear from your post that the update involved an actual powering down of the machine. That just does not happen as part of an update process. Perhaps you have some power settings that force this after an extended period of idle? Your machine could have been finally restarted and sitting at the login screen (were you always in front of the machine) for a time that usually leads to a power setting shutdown.

It would depend upon from what previous version the update is being applied to in this case. Lenovo machines, of which I own two, were some of the last to get the Win 10 update push. They tweak things in their OS distributions and dealing with these issues took some time and collaboration between Lenovo and Microsoft. Both my W520 and Yoga 2 machines took around 90+ minutes to update.

It was not clear from your post that the update involved an actual powering down of the machine. Perhaps you have some power settings that force this after an extended period of idle? Your machine could have been finally restarted and sitting at the login screen (were you always in front of the machine) for a time that usually leads to a power setting shutdown.

I was sitting in front of it for awhile, but I did leave it to do other things. Maybe I missed something that showed up on-screen, but I don't think so.

Part of those instructions were that the machine would "shut down" several times during the process. I assume that's what you mean by "power down."

Well, if the update appears again, I'll just have to be patient and let it do it's thing, even if it takes several days. LOL

Months ago I updated my Lenovo thinkpad T420 from 7 to 10. It was free and I figured it would be a good idea. I generally stick with my tower PC and Linux Mint 17.1, so I only start the lenovo once every couple of weeks to do updates. The time the windows updates took was considerable. Maybe because I rarely start it.
The other thing was RAM. I only had 4gb and I think that was a major problem. I took it in and doubled the memory. Now the updates run much more smoothly and don't take as long. I hate windows and only keep it on the laptop for programs that are default windows only. Linux is so much better In my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back