Wilson: Federal Vision No More?

Discussion in 'Federal Vision/New Perspectives' started by greenbaggins, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

I read somewhere Owen said something along the lines that Baxter needed to go back to school. I don't this will have any different result.

2. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

Ironically, I think Baxter is a favorite among many in the FV.

3. TylerRay

TylerRay Puritan Board Senior

Rev. Winzer,

You may be referring to this video. He refers to the imputation of Christ's active obedience as "his perfect, sinless life being ... imputed to his people." He refers to the imputation of Christ's passive obedience as "his sacrifice on the cross."

I may be missing something, but it seems that he is saying that Christ's meritorious obedience to the law (active obedience) is imputed to his people, as well as his suffering the penalty for the breaking of that law (passive obedience).

I'll also say that, when it comes to this video and others like it, Wilson is speaking off the cuff, and is only giving a "short and sweet" answer to questions from ordinary Christians. That is to say, the "Ask Doug" videos should not be thought of as a representation of just what Wilson would say if he were to give the fullest, most precise presentation of what he believes.

4. greenbaggins

greenbaggins Administrator Staff Member

You are probably right. But surely it is good to make the attempt. Who knows? The Lord may be merciful to him.

5. MW

MW Puritanboard Amanuensis

Perhaps he holds this and does not state it as clearly as he might, but as an impartial listener I don't hear an affirmation of the doctrine; the listener must assume he holds it and interpret him accordingly.

6. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

He should be. He was a neonomist basically. Supposedly he repented of his strange view of justification later in his life.

7. PuritanCovenanter

@greenbaggins Lane,
    I quit responding on blogs a long time ago. It got to be a task for me to keep up on things. Especially when dealing with DGH. I actually like him. I find him to be honest and ignorant at the same time. LOL. Or should I say ignorant and then honest about some of his lack of propriety? Anyways, I actually posted on your blog. Here was my reply.

8. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritanboard Amanuensis

Amen 100%. I know everyone is excited because it looks like Wilson is repenting (he isn't), but the proof is in the pudding. Will he step down from power and hold himself accountable to other men who aren't yes men?

9. greenbaggins

greenbaggins Administrator Staff Member

Yes, Randy, I agree with your comment, and I think Alan Strange's comment is important, too. Just how catholic is Wilson, anyway? Not very much, if you look at his thumbing of the nose at all the NAPARC denominations who have rejected the FV.

10. BayouHuguenot

"Catholicity" for Wilson simply means an abbreviated Book of Common Prayer type liturgy

11. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

12. PuritanCovenanter

Dr. Strange is always so spot on and gracious. What a gift to the Church.

13. JesusIsLord

JesusIsLord Puritan Board Freshman

Good day Gents. I read some of this thread and was kinda confused. I didn't know anything about Doug Wilson hurting people before I read this. My church has a pretty strong relationship with Christ church and Pastor Doug. Would anyone have an article explaining what he has done? Also explaining what Federal Vision is?

Thanks guys

14. Edward

Edward Puritanboard Commissioner

15. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

Oh, that's a long question. A lot of the posts above deal with Wilson's failures, I think.
    As for FV, it is a form of hyper covenantalism emerging from Norm Shepherd's teaching. In sum justification is turned on its head and it becomes Catholicism without a pope.

16. BayouHuguenot

Oh no. They have a pope.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

As I typed it, I figured someone would say that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable

Mod...

Let's remind ourselves of the obligations of the ninth commandment when discussing this matter, especially the individuals involved. Posts laden with scoffery and shadenfreude are beyond the bounds. Stick to the facts without untoward seasoning.

19. BayouHuguenot

I've seen first hand the damage he has done to my community. Even those who disagree with him in my community have still been infected by him. I wasn't joking about hiding your women from him. I was deadly serious.

20. Edward

Edward Puritanboard Commissioner

Schadenfreude? Because I don't recall anyone's misfortune that is being gloated upon. In fact, Wilson seems to be prospering quite well.

21. BayouHuguenot

No. I wasn't going for Schadenfreude. In order for that to obtain, his ministry must be in ashes and the CREC disbanded. Since that didn't happen, I couldn't have been gloating.

But to prove that any doctrinal repentance didn't happen, read the initial comments to his post, "Straight outa Calvin." A Federal Visionist asks him, quite reasonably, to stop posting until other FVers get this figured out, Wilson responds, "Why should I?"

Wilson. Is. Not. Accountable. To. Men.

Given his quasi-godlike status in the CREC, Wilson's earlier post probably created an earthquake. This is their identity, both spiritually and personally (since Wilsonista membership negates previous ties). That is why some FVers are asking Wilson to stop posting.

22. PuritanCovenanter

There are going to be some readers of this thread who will need to hear the facts. Calling Wilson derogatory names without factual disclosure is harmful and will turn off inquirers sometimes. It might fit well with a group of people who know the situation. We also need to be careful to not involve ourselves with gossip. I am prone to listen and speak sometimes in a manner that needs reeled in to being mindful of biblical standards. I have had to repent from such sin. So I am in agreement with Mr. Religion here. I know there are some sore spots in lives and that tends to cause us to paint things in a darker manner than is needful when we speak. Please heed the Moderator's admonition.

23. PuritanCovenanter

I think we are all familiar with what some consider failures though.

24. BayouHuguenot

Everything I said was backed up with facts. Police documents and even court cases. Aside from calling him the pope of the CREC, I am not sure what "name" I called him.

25. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable

Mod...

Let's not belabor my previous moderation note any longer. I named no names in that post as it was intended for all of us. If my caution speaks to you personally, then take it under advisement, if it does not, then rest in your peace with the matter.

I remind all:

We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation.

...we must be tireless in upholding the good name of our neighbor at all costs even if we're critical. Christ demands it of us toward our enemies and especially toward those that name Christ.

Anyone that feels inwardly provoked to continue commenting on this matter is free to contact me privately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.