William VanDoodewaard - Art, Nakedness, and Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRoper

Puritan Board Graduate
I was just thinking back to a discussion we had a few months ago on the propriety of nudes being the subject of art. I have found the arguments for its lawfulness less than satisfactory. Today I found an article on Reformation 21 that has really helped my thinking on the subject. Let me know what you think.

Art, Nakedness, and Redemption
Article by William VanDoodewaard January 2011

Where God displays His redemptive activity in contexts of extra-marital nakedness He clothes His people. Ezekiel 16 exemplifies this pattern in Scripture: God graciously redeems and clothes His bride, covering her nakedness and making her beautiful. Her God-given covering is not a denial of beauty, but rather a redemptive rescue and restoration to appropriate, glorious, public beauty, after she had been an object of abandoned, uncovered shame. The bride, however, turns to play the whore, prostituting herself, taking off her beautiful clothes, giving her naked beauty, now rebel, distorted and cheap, to any passer-by. Her disrobing outside of marriage is an outward expression of her inner rejection of God's redemption. She calls men to join her in violating God's perfect law.

Status
Not open for further replies.