William MacKray on the importance of the establishment principle to the Protestant Reformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
It is impossible, in my mind, for a reflecting and unprejudiced Christian to read the history of the progress of the Reformation on the continent of Europe and in our British isles, without perceiving that the doctrine of the Reformers, respecting the advantages of a National Establishment of Religion, had its orthodoxy manifested experimentally before the whole world,—in so much, that it is true beyond all question, that, but for the interposition of the civil state on behalf the Reformation, the current of intellectual, moral, and spiritual improvement would have been rolled backwards, and Papal Rome would have triumphed in every other land as she did in the case of ill fated Spain.

For the reference, see William MacKray on the importance of the establishment principle to the Protestant Reformation.

It is impossible, in my mind, for a reflecting and unprejudiced Christian to read the history of the progress of the Reformation on the continent of Europe and in our British isles, without perceiving that the doctrine of the Reformers, respecting the advantages of a National Establishment of Religion, had its orthodoxy manifested experimentally before the whole world,—in so much, that it is true beyond all question, that, but for the interposition of the civil state on behalf the Reformation, the current of intellectual, moral, and spiritual improvement would have been rolled backwards, and Papal Rome would have triumphed in every other land as she did in the case of ill fated Spain.

For the reference, see William MacKray on the importance of the establishment principle to the Protestant Reformation.
Its very much true that without the establishment principle the Reformation would not have succeeded given the historical context. Great quote as always! Sometimes the only reason I come on here is to read your quotes, they never disappoint. So keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back