William Fenner on the evil thoughts of the godly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking_Thy_Kingdom

Puritan Board Sophomore
18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whoseglory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

“Augustine saith, a mans thoughts are not in his own power: the heart of man is like tinder; and if the Devill cast a spark into it, thou canst not hinder it from taking fire; but thou mayest hinder it from burning further. A ship may have leakes in her, and thou canst not hinder the coming in of water into her; but by thy pumping and industry thon mayest save her from drowning in the water; even so evill thoughts, though they be rooted out, yet they will come in again; a mans heart is like to to the fig-tree that grew out of the stone wall, which Epiphanius speaketh of; the branches were lopt off, and it grew again; the boughs were lopt off, and it grew again; they cut down the body of it, yet it grew again; they pluckt up the roots of it, yet it grew again: till at last the stone wall and all was fain to be pulled down: Even so it is with vain thoughts in the heart; a man may lop them off by godly sorrow; he may cut them down, and root them up by mortification, and yet they will be sprouting up, and rising up again; till the whole body of sin be pulled down, and destroyed in a man. Gregory speaks of them, and saith man may pluck them up, but yet not so, but that they will rise again.

The consideration hereof should humble us, and make us low in our own eyes. Oh then think with thy self and say; Oh that my thoughts should be so base, earthly and vain! what, have I not a God, a Christ, a heaven to think upon? have I not excellent Commandements of God, and thousands of sweet and precious promises in Scripture to think upon? and must I be thinking on every bable? of every straw, not worth the thinking on? Take the Apostles exhortation, Whatsoever things be true; whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are of good report: if there be any vertue, if there be any praise, think on these things, Phil. 4. 8. what, are there so many vertuous things, so many holy and pure things; so many admirable and glorious things, so many heavenly graces, and divine promises; so many blessed passages of holy Writ to take up my mind? and shal I spend my thoughts and time upon such vain and cursed things as will yeeld me no profit? this should astonish the hearts of Gods people, and greatly humble their souls.”

Excerpt From: William, Fenner. “XXIX sermons on severall texts of Scripture preached by William Fenner.” University of Oxford Text Archive, 1657.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back