William Ames on the Heidelberg Catechism

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyhyde

Puritan Board Sophomore
Just an updated note about a book I mentioned in a previous thread.

Reformation Heritage Books is planning to release William Ames' A Sketch of the Christian’s Catechism, his commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism, this Fall (September/October).

Here is a portion from my copy of the manuscript that I recently used while preaching on Q&A 103, on the fourth commandment:

Lesson 2: In order that one day in seven may be observed, this is of a moral and perpetual duty (juris), as among us [it is] the Lord’s Day.

Reason 1: Because it is expressly taught in that moral law and with the rest of the commandments this was immediately pronounced by God, and inscribed on the stone tables, which is appropriate to the moral law.

Reason 2: Because this was instituted from the beginning of creation.

Reason 3: Because never is it not equally necessary that one day in seven may be observed, and so it was from its first institution. See also the many reasons in [my] The Marrow of Sacred Divinity. Moreover, because the first day of the week is constituted by divine authority for us, in order that it may be sacredly observed. This is apparent from:

(1) from the basis and by reason of the change -- for just as from the beginning God constituted the seventh day of the week for His own rest from His own creation, thus also Christ has constituted this day, because on this day He rested from His own afflictions and labors, by which He renewed the ruined world.

(2) from the most frequent appearances of Christ in the meetings of the disciples on the “first day of the week” [Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:1-3; Luke 24:1; Jo. 20:1, 19, 24].

(3) from the communication and distribution of the Holy Spirit in the feast of Pentecost.

(4) In the practice of the apostles.

(5) From the apostolic constitution (1 Cor. 16).

(6) From that very title of the Lord’s Day which occurs in the New Testament.

(7) From religious observance of this day by the primitive Church, of which by the [time of the] occasion were considered for worshippers of the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back