Will we ever see God's face? (God the Father)

Status
Not open for further replies.

God's in Charge

Puritan Board Freshman
In eternity will we ever see God the Father's "face"?

I'm hoping to stay out of the debates of God having a face as we understand it. Its more of a question of how close our interaction will be with the Father.
I'm certain we'll never be disappointed in whatever God grants but I struggle to see myself ever "sitting on dad's lap".
The clearest scripture to me is Paul saying...

Timothy 6:16ESV ►who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen.

Is "can see" both present and future tense?
I think language rules say so. The NLT translators think so.

He alone can never die, and he lives in light so brilliant that no human can approach him. No human eye has ever seen him, nor ever will. All honor and power to him forever! Amen.

Obviously, this isn't the only scripture on the topic. How do you understand this?

One more note.
I understand from the Westminster confession that God is a spirit and therefore without a body...
But I feel it's shallow thinking to say that because the Father is a spirit that somehow limits him from taking a form if he so chooses.
Angels are spirits and we certainly don't struggle seeing them in a certain form.
◄ Hebrews 1:14 ►
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

Obviously angels are created beings just like we are, but the point still stands. Just because God is a spirit certainly wouldn't hinder him from taking whatever form he chose. And if he desired for us to see his face... we'd see his face.

To me that is avoiding the question of how personal will we be in eternity with God the Father.

I posted this on Reddit and got these scriptures as a reply...

Matthew 5:8

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Revelation 22:3-5

No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him. 4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5 And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever.

I'm pretty sure the "name" on our foreheads is Jesus' name - thus it's Jesus' face John refers to in Revelation. Don't know I can be sure of that.

Both WLC 86 and 90 speak of our beholding "the face of God," and enjoying "the immediate vision and fruition of the God the Father, of our Lord Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit" in the intermediate and final states, respectively. You may wish to check out the accompanying proof texts.

Peace,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back