Will There Be Degrees of Rewards in Heaven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Unger's statement would be found wanting in some respects isn't surprising since he wasn't a Reformed theologian, confessional or otherwise, unless we're speaking very broadly. Rather, he was both a student and faculty member at Dallas Theological Seminary, and his soteriology was heavily influenced by Lewis Sperry Chafer. I think the "easy believism" of Chafer in particular perhaps naturally led to this strong emphasis on rewards (or the lack thereof) at the Judgment Seat of Christ in their theology. It would seem that you've got to do something with all of those passages that refer to works, rewards, and so on, and they reject the idea that sanctification and fruit in the life in the believer will necessarily be visible to others, (e.g. Ryrie) with more extreme ones denying that it is necessary at all (e.g. Hodges, Wilkin.) For the uninitiated, basically the teaching is that anyone who believes the facts about the gospel is saved, with repentance from sin being largely or totally optional.

I have noticed lately that some who deny the teaching of rewards in heaven (which sometimes goes hand in hand with a denial of degrees of sin) seem to be overreacting against dispensationalism. The two men who I am thinking of in particular are partial preterists, if I'm not mistaken, for whatever that may be worth.

Last edited:
Jonathan Edwards’ “Heaven, a World of Love” is a short, classic treatment of it.
It helps explain why there will be only joy for each other in the rewards received by some. Every reward and elevation of any saint will only reflect glory back to God and his grace.

What a lovely way to think about it, thanks for posting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back