Will the Pirates loose 100 games this year?

Will the Pirates loose 100 games this year?

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
Will the Pirates lose 100 games this year?

Given that the Pirates have added Ross Ohlendorf to their rotation and Jose Tabata to their lineup and the growth of their young guns Jeff Karstens and Daniel McCutchen and the strong NL Central division, (no adulation to our brothers in the Middle of the country, just keepin' it real) will the Pirates break the 100 loss mark this year? If not the Pirates who has the best shot at doing so?

Last edited:
It seems like the Pirates are doing everything they can to lose right now, but there are two other teams that will be dueling it out for that honor this year. The Mariners and the up and coming Nats.

I though for sure the Mariners were the worst team in baseball but the Nationals are coming on strong. Right now the Nats are on pace to lose 103 games!

Jason Bay looks like he'll be gone. :(

I hope you're wrong, Ben. Bay's on my fantasy team!

I read a story a few days ago that the Braves were trying to pry Bay away from the Pirates (trading them 4 minor leaguers, I believe), but the Bucs wouldn't bite.

But, if the Pirates have to play the rest of the season w/o Nady AND Bay, then 100 games does not seem too much of a stretch.

I just saw the following two blurbs on Yahoo's sports website:

Bill Chastain, of MLB.com, reports the Tampa Bay Rays are working on a deal to acquire Pittsburgh Pirates OF Jason Bay in exchange for several prospects, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The deal would not include Rays SP David Price.

According to the [Pittsburgh] Post-Gazette, the report comes from a Pirates "team source with direct knowledge" of the talks. The Rays' interest in Bay comes as a bit of a surprise, as they're looking for a right-handed bat, primarily to play right field. Bay bats right, but he's basically a left fielder, playing just one regular-season game in right field in his major league career. Carl Crawford, the Rays' current left fielder, himself has never played right field in an MLB game, so it's hard to see the Rays, who emphasize defense so much, putting either Bay or Crawford in right field for the first time in their lives in a pennant race. The Rays reportedly have not offered any major prospects, and the Pirate team source cited in the report admitted the deal had less than a 50-50 chance of coming about.

:banghead:

I just saw the following two blurbs on Yahoo's sports website:

Bill Chastain, of MLB.com, reports the Tampa Bay Rays are working on a deal to acquire Pittsburgh Pirates OF Jason Bay in exchange for several prospects, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The deal would not include Rays SP David Price.

According to the [Pittsburgh] Post-Gazette, the report comes from a Pirates "team source with direct knowledge" of the talks. The Rays' interest in Bay comes as a bit of a surprise, as they're looking for a right-handed bat, primarily to play right field. Bay bats right, but he's basically a left fielder, playing just one regular-season game in right field in his major league career. Carl Crawford, the Rays' current left fielder, himself has never played right field in an MLB game, so it's hard to see the Rays, who emphasize defense so much, putting either Bay or Crawford in right field for the first time in their lives in a pennant race. The Rays reportedly have not offered any major prospects, and the Pirate team source cited in the report admitted the deal had less than a 50-50 chance of coming about.

:banghead:

Wouldn't surprise me... why not just start "rebuilding" again :rolleyes:

And to answer your original question, ChristopherPaul, with the injuries the Braves have suffered, and now trading Teixiera, 90 games lost for the Bravos is not out of the question...
:tombstone:

Bream nothin'.

All this started when you let Barry get away. Besides, it was his soft defense that let slow-poke Sid make it home anyway.

The Pirates need to bring back Bonds!

I hear he's available.
:think:

Whatever the Pirates do...

...it won't be in the same Universe of Stupidity with what the Tigers did yesterday (trading Pudge Rodriguez for such a "beefing up of the pitching staff" - :lol: - Farnsworth).

I know this is :offtopic:. If anyone wants me to start a separate thread or delete this, I will.

Anyway, it is relevant hereto because it looks to me as though the Tigers have entered into a mutual futility pact with the Lions on this one, and nothing that any other MLB team does in the process of (maybe unintentionally) shooting itself in both feet even approaches it for the sheer volume of fan reproach that it's likely to garner, and already has.

The "Tigs" (long "i"), as we call 'em around here, are doing to this season what's being done to old Tiger Stadium at Michigan and Trumbull, even as I type. :banghead: Well, might as well make it a "two-fer."

I rest my case against Jim Leyland and Dave Dombrowski on something my husband told me not to bring up again within the walls of our house: Game One, 2006 World Series.

There. Carry on with the previous discussion. I'm sorry. :)

Margaret

Last edited:
yes, yes, yes,
I wonder how we beat the Yankees but lost to the cardinals.... AHH!

Pittsburgh is a team that has great potential, but they just do not care.... Thankfully we have a decent football team and a great basketball team (Collegiate, the NBA is horrid)

yes, yes, yes,
I wonder how we beat the Yankees but lost to the cardinals.... AHH!

Pittsburgh is a team that has great potential, but they just do not care.... Thankfully we have a decent football team and a great basketball team (Collegiate, the NBA is horrid)

Where is the love for the Penguins!?

Thankfully we have a decent football team and a great basketball team AND a phenomenal hockey team!

:)

Dude... i just moved here and I live in Westmoreland Co. So I must cheer for the highlanders. And I want to compete with the 6 nations... well not me personally but see another Steel City guy do it for me.

If Calvin and Knox were alive today watching the rugby games together... I wonder who they would cheer for and who would win the brawl that would ensue.... Just remember Knox was a bodyguard for Wishart... he knows how to handle a two handle sword

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back