Guest - An important message about Puritan Board Member and Moderator Rules of Behavior has been posted here.

Why two services on Sunday?

Discussion in 'Worship' started by shackleton, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shackleton

shackleton Puritan Board Junior

What is the purpose of two services on Sunday? Is this something that is strictly American tradition? Or is there some biblical reasoning for it?

2. Herald

Herald Moderator Staff Member

1689 LBC 22.8:

If the sabbath belongs to the Lord, then we should avail ourselves to the gathering of the saints. I don't know why some churches have evening services and another don't. We don't have evening services and I freely admit that I miss gathering for evening worship. It's something that I greatly enjoy.

3. Dearly Bought

Dearly Bought Puritan Board Junior

4. Webservant

Webservant Puritan Board Sophomore

We have two morning services. I am not sure why; the auditorium could handle everyone.

5. dannyhyde

dannyhyde Puritan Board Sophomore

Here are some online thoughts from various men on two services: http://www.oceansideurc.org/ - Pilgrims & Parish (Danny Hyde)

In a nutshell, it is a biblical pattern that was followed in the ancient church through the Reformation and that continues today.

As another has said, read/listen to Scott Clark's stuff on this.

6. ReformedWretch

ReformedWretch Puritan Board Doctor

I'd be all for spending the entire day in Church but I suppose I'd be there alone :(

7. JonathanHunt

JonathanHunt Puritan Board Senior

I'd join you!

8. ReformedWretch

Sweet! I do wish the people of God would fellowship and worship in an all day kind of way. It would take some serious effort and planning but I'm convinced it could be done.

9. VictorBravo

VictorBravo Administrator Staff Member

So how many have three services? I thought that was sort of normal. We only recently went from three to two.

10. Southern Presbyterian

Southern Presbyterian Moderator Staff Member

We spend the majority of the Lord's Day at church. Our services start at 10:00 for Sunday School; Worship at 11:00 - 12:45 or 1:00; Fellowship Meal from 1:00 to 2:15; afternoon Worship at 2:30, which usually lasts until about 4:00. We then normally spend an hour or more in fellowship before everyone heads home. All in all, a very nice day. We do this every Lord's Day.

11. ReformedWretch

That's pretty cool! Does everyone stay the whole time? What about those with very small children?

12. Southern Presbyterian

We are a small congregation, 10 families, and 7 of those families stay regularly. There are a couple of mattresses in the cry room for the two youngest to nap on, when needed. The remainder of the small children find plenty to keep themselves busy either playing outside or in the "war room" during fellowship times. They are in the services, except during needed trips to the cry room, during worship and Sunday School. The older kids help keep an eye on the younger ones. A lovely time is had by all!

13. tellville

tellville Puritan Board Junior

We have four services on Sunday, plus 2 youth services and 2 college services. We also meet every day of the week, Monday to Friday in the early morning. On Wednesday night we have an evening service and on Friday night is the Lord's Supper service.

I don't know if that's the most biblical model, but it is the model that allows the most attendance during the week. Our current building is much too small to contain everyone. So for us, it is purely an attendance issue.

14. E Nomine

E Nomine Puritan Board Freshman

In my home church it's logistical, as there are more parishioners than there is physical space. There is one worship service on Saturday evening, then four on Sunday.

15. toddpedlar

toddpedlar Iron Dramatist Staff Member

It seems some are confused about the original question. If I'm not mistaken, the original post was concerned with why churches have morning and evening worship services, both of which most of the church attends. This is an old practice - certainly no American innovation - that has its roots in the Biblical model of morning and evening prayers of the faithful.

Many of you seem to be answering the question "how many services does your church have", where what you're really referring to in your answer is a number of separate, mostly identical services that are necessary for some logistical reason or another, so that the whole membership is able to attend. Perhaps this is because the church sanctuary only holds 250 people, but there are 600 who attend on a given Sunday.

Two separate questions, and I'm pretty certain Erick was asking about the former, and not the latter, issue.

16. raekwon

raekwon Puritan Board Junior

Hey, our only Sunday worship service is in the PM. :lol:

17. Galatians220

Galatians220 Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Ours, too. We have a little family Bible :book2: and worship in the AM if nothing else is a possibility...

Margaret

18. shackleton

shackleton Puritan Board Junior

That's alright. Someone told me it was like putting a beginning and and end to the day. They also said that anytime there was a "call to worship" the believers should be there, barring some good reason not to.

I know when I went to a legalistic Pentecostal church it was an obligation to be at church every time the doors were open or else God was angry. I was assuming this was not the reason in the reformed churches and was just wondering was the reasoning was.

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

I have known of churches that have done this, in some cases because a number of the members travel long distances to worship.

20. Kim G

Kim G Puritan Board Junior

At our church we have a morning service at 10, a potluck meal together (every week), another service at 1, and then people just stay and talk for half of the afternoon. It's easy to spend most of the day at church! I love it.

21. Romans922

Romans922 Puritan Board Post-Graduate

22. JBaldwin

JBaldwin Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Historically, churches (at least in the Western world) have been meeting all day or twice a day for centuries. The Church of England has "evensong" and the RCC meets Saturday evening and Sunday morning. If I understand it correctly, the Saturday evening service in the RCC goes back to the idea that a day is sunset to sunset.

The protestant churches I attended in Europe in the 1980s met twice a day, though I don't think many do these days.

23. jawyman

jawyman Puritan Board Junior

I would suggest reading Psalms 92 - 97 for a biblical reason to worship the Living God day and night. Here is a good answer as to why we worship twice on the Sabbath.

How Great Are Your Works
    A Psalm. A Song for the Sabbath.

92:1 It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
    to sing praises to your name, O Most High;

92:2 to declare your steadfast love in the morning,
    and your faithfulness by night,

92:3 to the music of the lute and the harp,
    to the melody of the lyre.

92:4 For you, O Lord, have made me glad by your work;
    at the works of your hands I sing for joy.

Psalm 92:1-4 ESV

24. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

Thomas Doolittle also argues for sanctifying the whole Lord's Day on the basis of Psalm 92. The Young Man's Instructor, and the Old Man's Rembrancer, p. 292:

25. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist Dallas Cowboys' #1 Fan

We used to do this same thing. We stopped after about 1 year. It was interesting that we would have about 60 people (children included) on Sunday morning and only about 10 stayed for Sunday after the meal.

26. Southern Presbyterian

We only have one family that sometimes leaves after the meal. Been doing it for going on 8 years now. It's a great way to spend the day, imo.

BTW, nice picture in your avatar! Very adorable!

27. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist Dallas Cowboys' #1 Fan

Thanks. It is one of the best ways I could come up with to offset what the "evil" moderators have done to my name by making me seem like a Cowboys' fan.

28. OPC'n

OPC'n Puritan Board Doctor

2 services? Why?

If the whole day belongs to the Lord and we feel we can only accomplish giving it to Him by having worship services (this being the definition and the reason for the title "Why two services on Sunday?"), then the logical thing to do is have worship service all day long with short breaks in which people can eat or whatever. :think:

I think this shows that either a) we don't have service for as long as we should Acts 20:7 or b) having two services is being legalistic because it doesn't fulfill the requirement of giving to the Lord the whole day as defined above. :judge:

29. Southern Presbyterian

:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.