Why the Roman Catholic Church taught geocentrism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty

Puritan Board Sophomore
During the Middle Ages, why did the Roman Catholic Church think that the Bible teaches geocentrism? Did the Roman Catholic Church think that the Bible taught geocentrism because of Aristotle's philosophy?

During the Middle Ages, why did the Roman Catholic Church think that the Bible teaches geocentrism? Did the Roman Catholic Church think that the Bible taught geocentrism because of Aristotle's philosophy?

It is as you say.

A think also a bit of the reason might be because the RCC paints itself into a corner by virtue of its doctrine of itself. It is hard for them to walk-back a position when they are infallible (the RCC as a whole, per their dogma). Post-reformation, one line of defense the RCC had was that the Reformers were coming up with new ideas (of course they weren't, as frequent appeals to the Fathers attested), and that new = bad.

The earth is the center of God's creation, for man is there. And the earth is spoken of as fixed in the heavens. The RCC took these spiritual truths also to be astronomical truths.

I was reading that article yesterday, there's a lot in it.

CMI are interested in being taken seriously within the scientific community,
They are worried that the Geocentric model will have them laughed out of the room.
They have said as much in previous articles,

I am a shakey Geocentricist. For me, the Scriptures just seem to point that way.

Romans 3:4 (KJV)
God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written,
That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

The RCC theologians may have different reasons for being Geocentric.
Just out of interest, here is a critique of the CMI article from a RRC blogger.
http://nov9blogg9.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/and-cmi-also-felt-need-to-refute.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back