Guest - An important message about Puritan Board Member and Moderator Rules of Behavior has been posted here.

Why Judas Iscariot?

Discussion in 'Church Office' started by Poimen, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poimen

Poimen Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Calvin notes in his Harmony of the Gospels (Luke 6:13):

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. Anton Bruckner

Anton Bruckner Puritan Board Professor

Judas and Saul always scare me. These two characters do serve to maintain diligence in the Christian walk of believers.

3. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the Calvin quote Pastor Kok.

4. Poimen

Poimen Puritan Board Post-Graduate

As a minister I (mostly) draw encouragement from the quote since the life and continuance of the congregation cannot be sustained even by the faithful efforts of office bearers (which maintains my reliance upon the Spirit) and it cannot be undone by the most wicked of men (which maintains my reliance upon the Spirit).

5. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

Another thing that I have always wondered about is ..... Did Judas really understand who Christ was? He must not have really understood that Christ was omniscient or he would have probably acted different. He wouldn't have stolen nor conspired with the Sanhedrin. He seems oblivious to who Christ was in my opinion.

6. Anton Bruckner

Anton Bruckner Puritan Board Professor

he understood everything. his heart was just wicked. he was all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Judas is no different from parents that divorce over careers, drug dealers and corrupt politicians and judges. Jesus plainly said, "What shall it profit a man to gain the world and to loose his soul". Judas knew this. Many Americans know this and yet we act contrary most of the times.

7. k.seymore

k.seymore Puritan Board Freshman

Why did our Lord deliberately choose Judas, who, he perfectly knew, was unworthy of the honor, and would be his betrayer?

I always found it interesting that the tribe that rules over Israel was Judah, the 12 disciples represent the 12 tribes and it is said they will rule over the twelve tribes, the Jews (in the strict sense of the word) are the ruling tribe of Judah and we are told that they rejected and crucified Christ, and this was accomplished through the disciple whose name is literally Judah. The Jews betrayed their true king into the hand of Rome as Judas betrayed him into the hands of the Jews. Perhaps we are supposed to see him as representative of them.

8. JBaldwin

JBaldwin Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Thanks for posting this. It was a great comfort to me as well. Though it is no surprise to me that wicked men are high up in the church, I'm usually surprised when they cause division and problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.