Why Is Robert Murray M'Cheyne Still Worth Remembering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

Other than the fact that Andrew Bonar’s Memoir And Remains has given every new generation a glimpse into the life and character of M'Cheyne, why is the young preacher from Scotland still regarded highly?

What about his life and character is worth remembering?

Why is he still a ‘household name’ even to this day?

I would say because of his unwaivering resolve to wins souls for Christ. He truly lamented when he wasted any time that could be spent sharing the Gospel. I commend his biography by Bonar to you.

Perhaps that is how he is known by many; but surely that is not why he ought to be known.

It may not be the only reason, but this reading plan has been a blessing to many, and continues to be. I personally use it, and have seen others on this board recommend it. I think a useful reading plan that people have used and continue to use, to spend time in the word, is a valid reason to remember him.

I would say because of his unwaivering resolve to wins souls for Christ. He truly lamented when he wasted any time that could be spent sharing the Gospel. I commend his biography by Bonar to you.
I’m a few chapters into it already, brother. I wish that I had such zeal.

It may not be the only reason, but this reading plan has been a blessing to many, and continues to be. I personally use it, and have seen others on this board recommend it. I think a useful reading plan that people have used and continue to use, to spend time in the word, is a valid reason to remember him.
Fair enough. I’m thinking about following his reading plan next year, Lord willing.

On a side note, does it seem like pastors of yore were more likely to create Bible reading plans or catechisms for their own congregations than today’s pastors?

He apparently, before every service, would go on his knees to every chair in the church, and prayed for the person that would be sitting it during service. If that's not a desperation to see souls saved...

On a side note, does it seem like pastors of yore were more likely to create Bible reading plans or catechisms for their own congregations than today’s pastors?

I am do not know that question, but do recall reading that pastors would create their own catechism. It would make sense to me, if the same is true for reading plans. Maybe someone else knows that or knows where to look for that information.

I was first introduced to RM M'Cheyne through the reading plan. I've been pursuing that plan for 5 years now to great reward. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones said he followed the M'Cheyne plan for either 52, or 53 years, he could not recall which it was.

After I began the plan, my curiosity piqued about the man who devised it, I first read the 'Memoirs and Remains' by Andrew Bonar , and following that I read 'The Further Remains,' 'M'Cheyne's Basket Of Fragments', and three slim volumes BOT published of OT, and NT Sermons.

Some of his sermons were captivating, and very edifying to me. For such a young man to be published as he was, when there were thousands of ministers printing their sermons in that day, who remain forgotten, M'Cheyne was an exceptional servant of God, and that is why he is well remembered still.

He apparently, before every service, would go on his knees to every chair in the church, and prayed for the person that would be sitting it during service. If that's not a desperation to see souls saved...

Did they have assigned seats?

There are a number of good reasons listed. I also love his Bible Reading plan. I would add he also leaves a tremendous legacy in holiness of life.

Did they have assigned seats?
It's quite possible that people were paying to rent pews in those days, which would have effectively meant he could know which family would be sitting there.

Here's a PhD thesis on the topic in England, where it apparently persisted well into the 20th century. https://etheses.bham.ac.uk/id/eprint/2864/1/Bennett_11_PhD.pdf

This may be another fund-raising idea for those who don't think you should pass an offering plate during the service. Of course, the back row would cost double to rent, while the front row could be free...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back