Why is God a stranger in the land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Puritan Board Senior
I was reading this sermon by M'Cheyne (see Memoirs and Remains p589-594) the other day. I have tried to capture the sense of his message but you would need to read the whole thing for yourself. I trust it will be a real challenge to you as it was to me and especially so to those in leadership.

Why is God a stranger in the land?

O the hope of Israel, the Saviour thereof in time of trouble, why should you be like a stranger in the land, and as a wayfaring man who turns aside to tarry for a night? Why should you be as a man astonished, as a mighty man that cannot save? Yet you, O Lord, are in the midst of us, and we are called by your name; leave us not. Jer 14.8-9.

...in most parts of our, it is to be feared that God is a stranger, and like a wayfaring man who turns aside to tarry for a night.

1. How few conversions are there in the midst of us!
When God is present with power in any land, then there are always many awakened to a sense of sin and a flocking to Christ...

2. How much deadness there is among true Christians.
In times of reviving , when God is present with power in any land, not only are unconverted persons awakened and made to flee to Christ , but those who were in Christ before receive new measures of the Spirit...They are brought into the palace of the King, and say, “Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth for his love is better than wine”...

3. How great is the boldness of sinners in sin.
When God is present with power, then open sinners, though they may remain unconverted, are often much restrained. There is an awe of God upon their spirits. Alas! It is not so amongst us. The flood-gates of sin are opened

What are the reasons why God is such a stranger in this land?

I. In ministers
1. It is to be feared there is much unfaithful preaching to the unconverted .
All the words of men and angels cannot describe the dreadfulness of being Christless; and yet it is to be feared, we do not speak with to those who are so with anything like sufficient plainness, frequency and urgency...

2. It is to be feared there is much unfaithfulness in setting forth Christ as a refuge for sinners.
When a sinner is newly converted he would fain persuade everyone to come to Christthe way is so plain, so easy, so precious. He thinks, Oh, if I were but a minister, how I would persuade men! This is a true feeling and a right feeling. But oh, how little is there of this among ministers!...Many do not make it the end of their ministry to testify of Jesus as the hiding place of sinners...We do not invite sinners tenderly; we do not gently woo them to Christ; we do not authoritatively bid them to the marriage; we do not compel them to come in; we do not travail in birth till Christ be formed in them the hope of glory.

II. In Christian people
1. In regard to the Word of God. There seems little thirst for hearing the word of God among Christians now...They come [to the word] rather as judges than children...most seem to prefer the seat of Moses tot eh seat of Mary at the feet of Christ. Many come to hear the word of a man that shall die, and not the word of the living God.

2. In regard to prayer. There is much ploughing and much sowing, but very little harrowing in of the seed by prayer. God and your conscience are witnesses how little you pray. You know you would be men of power if you were men of prayer, and yet ye will not pray. Unstable as water, you do not excel. Luther set apart his three best hours for prayer. How few Luthers we have now! John Welsh spent seven hours a day in prayer. How few Welshes we have now!

It is to be feared there is little intercession among Christians now. The high priest carried the names of the children of Israel upon his shoulders and breast when he drew near to Goda picture of what Christ now does and all Christians should do. God and your consciences are witnesses how little you intercede for your children, your servants, your neighbours, the Church of your fathers, and the wicked on every side of you, – how little you pray for ministers, for the gift of the Spirit, for the conversion of the world, – how selfish you are even in your prayers!

It is to be feared there is little union in prayer. Christians are ashamed to meet together to pray. Christ has promised, “If two of you shall agree on earth, touching something that you shall ask, it shall be done for you of my Father.” Many Christians neglect this promise

III. In unconverted souls
There is much to blame in ministers, and much in the people of God, but most of all to blame in unconverted souls.

1. Sinners in our day have great insensibility as to their lost condition.
Many know that they never believed on the Son of God, and yet they are smiling and happy. Many know that they were never born again, and the bible says they cannot see the kingdom of God; and yet their step is as light, and their laugh out loud, as if they were heirs of the kingdom , instead of heirs of hell.

2. Sinners in our day have great insensibility as to their need of Jesus Christ.
The bible declares him to be the friend of sinners! Yet how many read this who are content to live without knowing him.

3. There has been much resisting of the Spirit in our day.

Come, then, and let every believer, and above all, every minister stir up his heart to lay hold on God and cry, ‘O the hope of Israel, the Saviour thereof in time of trouble, why shouldst Thou be as a stranger in the land, and as a wayfaring man that turneth aside to tarry for a night?’

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back