Why Aren't You Roman Catholic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
James White has an excellent blog article here, pointing out the differences b/t Roman Catholicism and Protestantism and how too many Protestants don't even consider these things on theological grounds. I blog about it here.

Here are a couple of relevant quotes from White:

I am not a Roman Catholic because Roman Catholicism is a false religion. It is headed by an imposter, a man who claims to be something he is not. The Pope is not the Vicar of Christ, he is not the head of the Christian Church, he is not a “Holy Father,” and I owe him no fealty, honor, nor respect in the religious sense. Roman Catholicism is a man-made perversion of the truth. While it retains elements of the truth (having moved away from the faith slowly and over a great deal of time), it falls under the condemnation of the Apostle Paul in Galatians 1. If the Judaizers were properly anathematized for their additions to the gospel, it is very clear to me that they never came close to dreaming up half the stuff Rome has added to the gospel over the centuries. Nor do we have any evidence that they attacked the sufficiency of Scripture, included grossly unbiblical offices (priests, Cardinals, Popes), or elevated anyone like Mary to the lofty heights of nigh unto divinity that Rome has over the past few centuries. The Papacy has embarrassed the Judaizers in the realm of innovation and gospel-corruption, to be sure.

The fact of the matter is that most “Protestants” in the world today are Protestants of taste rather than Protestants of conviction. They just prefer their religion the way they have it. Maybe they don’t like old cathedrals, or they don’t like backwards collars, or the smell of candles. Maybe they think the Pope’s hat is funny. Whatever the reason, they are not Roman Catholics basically because they don’t feel like it. They are not convinced that Rome’s gospel is false or that her theology is blasphemous. No, they have never really given all of that much thought. They might find the Marian dogmas a bit odd, but in the final analysis, their current religious affiliation is just a matter of taste, nothing more. And let me tell you: those folks are ripe for conversion: either conversion to Rome, or, conversion to apostasy, either one. For if they have no passion for the gospel, they have no passion for Christ, and hence no foundation of faith.

Last edited:
Because I have a Bible and can read

Heb 10:22 Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and having a High Priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
NKJV

Not sure, I think if you have a Bible and can read you wouldn't be a RC even if you weren't converted.

Why do you think they did it in Latin ??:gpl:

Hmmm, you may have a point there.

A church history prof in seminary told our class that when some of the folks at a university (Oxford, I believe) first got a copy of Erasmus' NT in their hands, someone commented, "Either this is not the Bible, or we're not Christians."

I like this from Mr. White:

A true Protestant is a person who has made that act of will, that act of faith, in purposefully embracing the gospel of grace in opposition to a gospel of works and who recognizes that what he has embraced is fundamentally opposed to what he has rejected

I will admit that much Protestants do not know why they our Protestants.

I am a Protestant because I'm a Calvinist, because I'm an Augustinian, because I am of Paul, because I am of Christ by the GRACE of God!

This is from the link, about how the confession originally forbid mrriage to infidels and Papists.

Sadly, my own denomination has removed the “offensive” word papists from its version of the Confession of Faith. Granted, this was a decision of the Court (an amendment to the Form of Government in 1984, an action of the presbyteries and General Synod), but I wonder how many marriages have be foolishly joined together because such wording was removed

What denomination is it, anybody know?

Excellent and honest post, Tim. You might want to correct a couple typos (I don't know how 'eternal' blogs are). Don't mean to be critical. :)

many in my own congregation who are tangentially connect to Roman Catholicism
and

I wonder how many marriages have be foolishly joined

Excellent and honest post, Tim. You might want to correct a couple typos (I don't know how 'eternal' blogs are). Don't mean to be critical. :)

many in my own congregation who are tangentially connect to Roman Catholicism
and

I wonder how many marriages have be foolishly joined

Now where's the grammar police smiley when you need one. ;)

:lol:

Thanks. The missus sometimes proofs my posts, but she was napping when I wrote this! Fixing them as we speak...

This is from the link, about how the confession originally forbid mrriage to infidels and Papists.

Sadly, my own denomination has removed the “offensive” word papists from its version of the Confession of Faith. Granted, this was a decision of the Court (an amendment to the Form of Government in 1984, an action of the presbyteries and General Synod), but I wonder how many marriages have be foolishly joined together because such wording was removed

What denomination is it, anybody know?

Dr. White is a Reformed Baptist. He's referring to the 1689 Confession of Faith.

this is from the link, about how the confession originally forbid mrriage to infidels and papists.

sadly, my own denomination has removed the “offensive” word papists from its version of the confession of faith. Granted, this was a decision of the court (an amendment to the form of government in 1984, an action of the presbyteries and general synod), but i wonder how many marriages have be foolishly joined together because such wording was removed

what denomination is it, anybody know?

arp

[Why can't that stay capitalized? I type it in in capital letters and when I hit "save" it is back to lower-case.]

this is from the link, about how the confession originally forbid mrriage to infidels and papists.

sadly, my own denomination has removed the “offensive” word papists from its version of the confession of faith. Granted, this was a decision of the court (an amendment to the form of government in 1984, an action of the presbyteries and general synod), but i wonder how many marriages have be foolishly joined together because such wording was removed

arp

[Why can't that stay capitalized? I type it in in capital letters and when I hit "save" it is back to lower-case.]

Looks like it may be Reformed Baptist instead of ARP.

"Elder, Phoenix Reformed Baptist Church"
Alpha and Omega Ministries, The Christian Apologetics Ministry of James R. White

A couple of years ago the man who took over my former church made the announcement that, "I am not a Protestant, I have nothing to protest about."

That statement still makes my dh and me angry because of its arrogance - it is a slap in the face of every man, woman, and child who was martyred by the RC because of their stands for the Lord and His Word. :flamingscot:

Ex 20:4-6

4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
NASB

arp

Looks like it may be Reformed Baptist instead of ARP.

"Elder, Phoenix Reformed Baptist Church"
Alpha and Omega Ministries, The Christian Apologetics Ministry of James R. White

No, Lynnie is quoting me. That's from my own blog. The denomination is the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.

I would be interested in knowing if other Presbyterian bodies have deleted/modified/revised this sort of language to make it more "pope-friendly."

Pray for Dr. White. Lately the RC apologists have taken to using his sister (a convert to RC, divorcee, professing survivor of sexual abuse, etc.) against him. Several of them have been making scurrilous allegations, attempting to undermine White's effectiveness in his opposition to the RC position. His video on the topic had me aching for him.

I am not a RC because I once was one, and in fact, a member of the most militant of RCs, the Jesuits. I am proof positive that spending seven years in Jesuit seminary and a cloistered environment, drinking in the likes of Barth day after day in classes, and on my knees more hours than I can count each night in endless ritualism, is no barrier to God's being able to bring a regenerated person out of Catholicism.

If we Protestants don't know what we are protesting about, I feel sorry for us all and claim it is a shame on our elected/ordained leadership for not instructing us properly.

I am not a RC because I once was one, and in fact, a member of the most militant of RCs, the Jesuits. I am proof positive that spending seven years in Jesuit seminary and a cloistered environment, drinking in the likes of Barth day after day in classes, and on my knees more hours than I can count each night in endless ritualism, is no barrier to God's being able to bring a regenerated person out of Catholicism.

If we Protestants don't know what we are protesting about, I feel sorry for us all and claim it is a shame on our elected/ordained leadership for not instructing us properly.

You should write a book on your path out!! Seriously

I am not a Roman Catholic because Roman Catholicism is a false religion. It is headed by an imposter, a man who claims to be something he is not.

I doubt this is the best way to approach the issues in debate between Romanists and Protestants. (1.) They are usually regarded as corrupters of the Christian religion, not advocates of a false religion. (2.) There is also usually a distinction made between Romanism and the Papacy.

I am not a RC because I once was one
It is the same for me: I was one, but then God called me out of it, using only His written Word. When I was pondering the question of the Eucharist, one Scripture that struck me most was John 6.63 "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."

Also, I live in a largely, albeit mostly nominally, catholic country where each year 7 million people worship the exhumed corpse of a monk. I know firsthand the practical results of the Roman Catholic pseudo-gospel.

Dr. White is absolutely right, many Evangelicals have no idea how deep the Roman pit is.

I'm not Roman Catholic because I can't stand sitting through any service where the Bible isn't opened and taught. Even if I don't agree with everything the preacher in a sermon is saying (the best preaching is not infallible) the Bible is open and I can read it for myself.

I am not a RC because I once was one
It is the same for me:

Add me to the list. I was raised RC, went to RC school, was an altar boy, etc. What turned me against the RC was the duplicity being practiced. Example: divorce was not permitted for any reason, but if one was divorced and wanted to remarry, for a fee, the first marriage could be annulled even if there had been children born during the marriage. This, in effect, makes the children bastards.

Eating meat on Friday was also a sin, but in the late 60s/early 70s was no longer considered a sin. From a RC perspective, what about the people who were in hell for eating meat on Friday?

Pugatory and indulgences, Limbo, etc. I could go on and on, but the Holy Spirit opened my eyes to the truth and providentially led me to the Reformed faith, ie, membership on the OPC.

Soli Deo Gloria

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back