Who memorizes in Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solparvus

Puritan Board Senior
I am curious to know if anyone here has incorporated memorization of New Testament passages in Greek into their Bible study and plan for spiritual growth (or ministry, in the case of pastors and Bible teachers)--or perhaps in some cases, passages from the Septuagint. If you have, what have been the up's and down's of this practice for you? Why have you taken it up? Does it benefit you? Or if you bypass it altogether, why do you choose not to do it, assuming you made a deliberate choice to memorize in English instead?

I'd be interested in hearing the same thoughts concerning memorization of the Old Testament in Hebrew.

When I learn Greek, I think it will definitely help memorization. However, I have found that as I read and study the Bible I tend to memorize it.

Hello Harley,
Since I have studied the bible in both English (KJV and ESV) and koine Greek (Greek is my native language) I can tell you that learning and memorizing passages in Greek will not only help your spiritual growth but it will also give you a better understanding of the scripture.

I can tell you the same for biblical Hebrew. Although my knowledge of Hebrew is limited I have found that it is very helpful to memorize small passages. Reading the bible in the original language is a great experience and it will be an advantage in your studies.

I hope this helps.

I have memorized a couple of verses in the Greek. My reason for doing so? It felt liking taking care of two birds with one stone: I'm memorizing Scripture and I'm studying the Greek. A further advantage though is that you know the words of Scripture that stand behind the translation, which are often richer in meaning and are not subject to translation errors.

Im sure memorizing the Hebrew OT would have the same advantages. I have only memorized Psalm 1:1 in Hebrew. So I cannot say much about it.

It looks like I'm on the right track. To memorize in Greek and Hebrew (if you can) would seem wise since even though an English translation is indeed the Word of God, still the ultimate appeal is to the originals themselves. Quoting Scripture on the fly might take some more work, but to have the Word in your mind in the originals is to store up the Word in its purest form.

It looks like I'm on the right track. To memorize in Greek and Hebrew (if you can) would seem wise since even though an English translation is indeed the Word of God, still the ultimate appeal is to the originals themselves. Quoting Scripture on the fly might take some more work, but to have the Word in your mind in the originals is to store up the Word in its purest form.

Well said Harley, having the need to study the Word of God in-depth puts you on the right track!

God bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back