Puritan Board Sophomore
They may very well be, Sir. But that isn't the criteria for who we are or aren't to have fellowship with, at least not biblically speaking. I've posted this list elsewhere, but there are at least six different types of believers we are to separate from:I would be scared out of my boots to presume I should withhold fellowship from either of those men. I suspect both are much nearer to God than I am.
1. The sinning brother—Sin by one brother against another about which the sinning brother will not be reconciled (Matt. 18:15–17).
2. The immoral brother—Moral sins that the sinning brother continues to practice. These are fornication, covetousness, railing, drunkenness, and extortion (1 Cor. 5:11).
3. The unequally yoked brother—The doctrinal, or theological, error of idolatry, or being unequally yoked with unbelievers (1 Cor. 5:11; 2 Cor. 6:14).
4. The lazy brother—The sin of laziness in which the brother will not work for a living (2 Thess. 3:6–15).
5. The disobedient brother—Open disobedience to Scripture (2 Thess. 2:15; 3:6–14).
6. The heretical brother—Heresy, or deviant doctrine, that is promoted out of self-willed divisiveness (Titus 3:10).
But specifically with respect to secondary separation, it's a pretty well established practice among some, even as recently as MLJ and Billy Graham.