Who has read Joe Morecraft's "Authentic Christianity?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
Last week at the GPTS Conference, I received a review copy of Morecraft's Authentic Christianity (2nd Ed. 8 vol.) from the publisher. I am looking forward to digging in. I think I am going to reread Thomas Ridgley's commentary alongside it for a study of the WLC.

Who has read it? What are your thoughts? Can anyone recount any instance that his adherence to theonomy influenced his expositions? Rev. Keister (@greenbaggins) was kind enough to send me his review, but I would also like to hear from others.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Last edited:
I don't post a lot of stuff from the journal but given it's been ten years and the Morecraft is being reissued, I have gone ahead and posted the full review in pdf at the link. The Bower work I think is still in print but am not sure; the Larger Catechism Transcripts are out of print except for the regular edition. http://www.cpjournal.com/articles-2/articles/
I was interested in this review, as well. Is there any chance we who are inquiring could get "special access" to this review? @NaphtaliPress?

I don't post a lot of stuff from the journal but given it's been ten years and the Morecraft is being reissued, I have gone ahead and posted the full review in pdf at the link. The Bower work I think is still in print but am not sure; the Larger Catechism Transcripts are out of print except for the regular edition. http://www.cpjournal.com/articles-2/articles/

Chris, thank you for making the review available to others. Also, I just sent you an e-mail.

Is it just the first edition (5 volumes, 2009-2010) that's being reissued, or is it a new, second edition in which textual changes have been made (corrections, portions re-written, updatings, etc.)?

UPDATE: It looks like the new edition is 8 volumes instead of 5, with the last volume being dedicated exclusively to various indexes. Does this mean that the original contents of the 5 volumes have been redistributed into seven, or has he added what amounts to 2 volumes of new material?

Last edited:
Is it just the first edition (5 volumes, 2009-2010) that's being reissued, or is it a new, second edition in which textual changes have been made (corrections, portions re-written, updatings, etc.)?
It is now in eight volumes. Kyle Shepherd painstakingly edited and corrected many textual issues. There is also now a unique historical index in volume eight.
Below is from the website.

Smythe-Sewn Binding
These volumes are sewn together, not simply glued. This means these text blocks are built and sewn to last for years of diligent use, without falling apart in your hands.

Eight Clothbound Volumes
Each volume is bound in cloth corresponding to each volume's color, stamped with silver foil. Divided among eight volumes, these books are easy to pick up and carry around.

Extensive Proofreading
Over fifteen thousand textual corrections were made to the body of this text, including typos, grammatical corrections, and clarified sentences.

Six New Navigation Aids
A Bibliography, Names Index, Westminster Standards Index, Historical Index, Scripture Index, and Complete Table of Contents makes it a breeze to locate information in these pages. Volume 8 is entirely dedicated to navigation.

Fun story: I went inside Morecraft's office in 2005 and held Oliver Cromwell's head. Okay, I held his death mask.

I also had mimeographed copies of some of these but they didn't survive moving.

Apparently, the second edition is being published by Four Falls Press, located in Centreville, Alabama (which doesn't have a website, as far as I know), which has taken the book over from American Vision Press in Powder Springs, Georgia.

(It would still be interesting to know how it got from 5 volumes to 8. Reformatted and retypeset?)

Have they published before? Hope they know what they are doing. First time publishers starting off with a big project is risky either from product quality or one and done.
Apparently, the second edition is being published by Four Falls Press, located in Centreville, Alabama (which doesn't have a website, as far as I know), which has taken the book over from American Vision Press in Powder Springs, Georgia.

(It would still be interesting to know how it got from 5 volumes to 8. Reformatted and retypeset?)

I posed your question to the editor. This was his response:

1.) We split the content across more volumes, but fewer pages per volume, so each volume was more manageable than the original massive volumes.

2.) Additional eighth volume was created from all the navigation aids - Complete Table of Contents, Bibliography, and various indexes.

We split the content across more volumes, but fewer pages per volume, so each volume was more manageable than the original massive volumes.

I suspected that that's what they did. I notice that the pagination is now consecutive through the volumes. That's a good idea, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back