Who has a koran ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is it to know/cite the original? I have heard so many things about the way Muslims often look down on all translational efforts.

From the Muslim perspective, very important. A few Muslims have told me that I have not read the Qur'an until I have read the Qur'an in Arabic. Most Muslims seem to be of the view that it cannot be 'translated' (as any other book can be), the Arabic language and its stunning use here being such an important component of the experience of reading the Qur'an.

In a way, though, that's just a 'realist' view of translation, which any Classics professor might have regarding the Greek and Latin classics -- the best English translations of Homer and Seneca that the Greekless and Latinless student has are really just creative interpretations of the texts. You haven't really experienced Homer unless, etc...

That is one reason you really need to read the hadith. There's a bunch of it/them though.

I have one and have read it in its entirety once.

Lawrence, do you know where I could purchase a copy of the hadith?

There are too many to gather all in one book:

http://http://www.uga.edu/islam/hadith.html

http://http://www.islamonline.net/iol-english/info/hadith.asp

Thanks for the help Pergy. I couldn't open those links, however.
Here is a pretty extensive website that I use:The Hadith Database

I have two "interpretations" of the Koran. As Reformed Thomist pointed out, above, Muslims only consider the Arabic version the Koran (e.g. only Arabic verses are memorized, even by Muslims who do not understand Arabic). I remember wondering last year, when a Muslim organization did a mass distribution of Korans on Houston doorsteps, how they rationalized disrespecting the book they are not allowed to place on the ground; that's when I learned their reverence only extends to the Arabic text.

If you want to understand what the majority of Muslims believe, i.e. Sunnis which compromise ~93% of Muslims, you need to track down the interpretation used by English Practitioners. I did, and it wasn't simple; in fact, it almost seemed like there was a conspiracy on the part of Western media to keep this version from inadvertently falling into the hands of idle curiosity seekers for whom it could compromise their understanding of "the religion of peace."

It turns out Interpretation of the Meanings of The Noble Qur'an in the English Language. Translated by Dr. Muhammad Taqui-ud-Din Al-Hilali and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan is the most widely distributed English version. This is the version Sunni mosques promote for English-speaking Muslims and the version English-speaking pilgrims receive when they make the Hajj to Mecca. It's also the version I could not find in any mainstream bookstore. They all stock the Penguin Classic, and/or other similar versions which I found are very different in that they dilute the raw anti-Christian and anti-Jewish sentiment. I finally went to a Muslim bookstore, where they were well-stocked with three different editions of the Hilali-Khan interpretation.

Muslim apologists often say the Hilali-Kahn interpretation is "radical" and not indicative of what mainstream Muslims believe. It remains, nevertheless, the most common version of English believers and its distribution is subsidized by the Saudi government. It contains many detailed footnotes, similar to a study Bible.

I haven't read through the entire Koran, but I've read significant passages, both in the direct Hilali-Kahn and in the comparatively boring and innocuous Penguin Classic version. The Hilali-Khan starts right off in the first Sura stating that the Jew has earned Allah's anger. It also contains appendices attacking Jesus' divinity and calling Muslims to Jihad

I have a nice one that was given to me by some Muslims that I was dialoging with. They gave it to me so I could have some knowledge of the Koran. It's good to have one in this day and age.

I have read the Koran in the translation by N.J. Dawood. It has pictures of some nice-looking mosques. It's good to think that they will be (Reformed) churches some day.

I used to have one. I would like to get another one soon. Although I never got around to peering into it much, I am positive it has more literary value than the book of Mormon (on the unassailable grounds that nothing could have less).

Umm, Scientology. L. Ron Hubbard was way crazier than Joseph Smith.

Back on topic... I have a rather extensive collection of books on Islam, by Muslims, from a wide variety of lslamic legal schools including several different English translations/interpretations of the Quran. If we are going to refute someone, we need to understand what they are saying. They are right next to my copies of Dan Brown's books.

For those who don't know, the Quran is much shorter than the Bible. Also, the first chapter is the longest; the last is the shortest.

I think its wonderful to be able to be familiar with the Koran. I have read parts of it, and its an absolutely fascinating book. Its really helped me understand some of what is going on in the world. I think its clear that Paul was very knowledgable about Greek and Roman thought and that he was able to use his knowledge and understanding to effectively preach Christ to the pagans.

Also, R.C. Sproul has co-written a really excellent book on Islam. It helped me to understand the religion and its followers much better. Amazon.com: The Dark Side of Islam: R. C. Sproul, Abdul Saleeb: Books

Read this. It's very Good!

I'm not so sure

I used to have a copy which I picked up in a charity shop but never got round to reading. The sight of it sitting there as if innocently among all the other books began to trouble me after a while. i've always heard that moslems regard the book, even the physical thing itself, as sacred. Paul says we know that an idol is nothing, but still he tells us to abstain from meat offered to idols when it's brought to our attention, if only for the sake of others' consciences. And there is enough in Scripture, the OT especially, about rooting out the trappings of paganism.
i felt happier once I had got rid of it. After all I thought, why would I want to fill my mind with its teachings? i have enough trouble keeping the incursions of the world out of there, without inviting in of my own accord what must be straight from the Enemy.

I have heretical writings in my library. They are a know your enemy thing. However, knowing I will die some day and these books will go to someone else, I have marked them up inside the front cover with a big red marker with a warning.

Rich,
I can see that if you're called to apologetics it might be different. And I suppose we're all so called to a certain extent -- I dabble in evolutionist writings myself, with a view to being able to meet smart, unconverted young people in debate. Still have my doubts about the koran, for reasons mentioned!
(The red warning marker sounds like a good idea though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back