Who got a Kindle for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that there are problems with some texts on Kindle: misspellings, typographical errors, words hyphenated in weird places - stuff like that. Has anyone run into these problems?

I've haven't run into any issues with the books from Amazon, even the free ones. Books from gutenberg.org, manybooks.net, and archive.org don't have any issues. The only ones I've noticed misspellings or any other errors are the ones I've converted from pdf. But I've downloaded a lot of books and this hasn't been a big issue for me, most are problem free (nothing that wouldn't be expected in print format - like one misspelled word in the whole book or something like that).

I've heard that there are problems with some texts on Kindle: misspellings, typographical errors, words hyphenated in weird places - stuff like that. Has anyone run into these problems?

I've seen a tiny bit of this in the form of spacing of words. However, I don't think it's a big enough deal to not get it. Being able to read the classic books alone (for free) on the Kindle (which of course is not free) is probably worth the price of the Kindle alone.

I almost preached from my Kindle yesterday. The ink in both of my printers went out so I emailed my MS Word sermon to my Kindle address and within an hour it appeared on my Kindle. At the last minute my wife found some ink.

I got an iPad and added the Kindle app, I think I have a few books, "Christian and Ethics: A Handbook of Christian Ethics" by Archibald Alexander; "A Practical View of the Prevailing religious System of Prefessed Christians in the Middle and Higher Classes in this Country Contrasted with Real Christianity" by William Wilberforce (thought it might be interesting...); "An Enquiry into the Obligations of Christians to Use Means for the Conversion of Heathens" by William Carey (thought this would be interesting too); Concerning Christian Liberty by Martin Luther, ESV Bible, New Oxford Dictionary.

All free.

Where did you guys get free Beeke and Phillips?

I just saw that this was posted as a new thread, Sinclair Ferguson's "In Christ alone" is free on Kindle right now.

"Ye shall kindle..." Ex. 35:3
"The children gather wood and the fathers kindle..." Jer. 7:18
"Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will kindle..." Ez. 20:47
"Who is there even among you that would shut the doors for nought? neither do ye kindle.... I have no pleasure in you, saith the LORD of hosts...." Mal. 1:10

I like my Biblical standing (eisegewhat?) as a Kindle user. Repent, ye papercut obscurantists!

Where did you guys get free Beeke and Phillips?

I just saw that this was posted as a new thread, Sinclair Ferguson's "In Christ alone" is free on Kindle right now.

Every Monday there's a free book available on Amazon. There are always free books (everyday), but only Monday, it seems, there are the Beeke, Phillips, and Ferguson types.

I've heard that's a problem with all e-books, perhaps some more than others.

I've bought and downloaded some books from Amazon (in Kindle format, of course) for my iPad, and I come across a strange error every now and then, though fortunately it has been rare.

I'd consider a kindle if I didn't already own its stiff competitor. :eek:

My nook has those, too, at least, within the classics. I assume it's a scanning issue. The same thing happens if I scan a document--sometimes i's become l's, for example.

I received one from my wife. So far, I‘ve loaded only the ESV and haven’t had time to look for other stuff. I’m not sure if I’m going to like it. After I learn to use all the functions, maybe..

I got a new Kindle 3 a few months ago for my birthday, which was very welcome because I had given my Kindle 2 to a missionary to Romania last spring and was reading my kindle books on the computer and the iPhone - hate the backlight.

I notice more typos on the Kindle than in real books, but it's not bad enough to bother me too much, and typos probably bother me more than most people.

I have the basic Amazon cover without a light and use a Mighty Bright booklight clipped to the cover - all works great. And I have a really fancy, waterproof cover for reading in the bathtub...a gallon-size Ziplock freezer bag :). Works great, though I haven't dropped it in or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back