Who got a Kindle for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayPot

Puritan Board Sophomore
or a Pagan holiday co-opted by the Roman Catholic church? I did! Pretty sweet? For those who have a Kindle, what accessories do you recommend? I don't really care to personalize my Kindle, but things like covers, reading lights, etc. that you would recommend would be appreciated.

The cover with the reading light is great for reading in bed. I also purchased headphone so I can listen to the book. I was told they have a waterproff cover for reading in the bathtub. Do people still take baths??

If you received a Kindle this morning the one possible bad feature of it is, you may read more.

My wife gave me one early. In the last three weeks, I have discovered the joy of FREE books (e.g., Beeke, Phillips, Sproul, etc.).

You really need to check the daily specials. Digital books often come online for free for a short period of time (often only for one day). If you download them, you get them. Otherwise, they revert to their regular prices. Secular books on Amazon are often $9.99. But Zondervan books are typically MUCH higher.

I picked up a GREAT case at Best Buy for $35 (M-Edge). It is light weight, faux leather, devoid of extraneous junk, and has a VERY solid protective cover with a soft micro lining. My wife uses the same thing on her Kobo.

For daily Kindle deals:

Amazon.com Bestsellers: The most popular items in Kindle eBooks

Like Dennis, I got one a couple weeks ago as an early gift. It came with the cover from amazon that doesn't have the light. There's a lot of free books out there (Amazon, manybooks.net, gutenburg.org, archive.org, and many others).

My wife gave me one early. In the last three weeks, I have discovered the joy of FREE books (e.g., Beeke, Phillips, Sproul, etc.).

You really need to check the daily specials. Digital books often come online for free for a short period of time (often only for one day). If you download them, you get them. Otherwise, they revert to their regular prices. Secular books on Amazon are often $9.99. But Zondervan books are typically MUCH higher.

I picked up a GREAT case at Best Buy for $35 (M-Edge). It is light weight, faux leather, devoid of extraneous junk, and has a VERY solid protective cover with a soft micro lining. My wife uses the same thing on her Kobo.

For daily Kindle deals:

Amazon.com Bestsellers: The most popular items in Kindle eBooks

Thanks Dennis!

Did you all sell out at Wal Mart, Ivan?

Not Kindles. We don't sell those. But if you mean in general...ummm...about a million dollars in sales in the last two days. Tad busy.

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

...and I get to go in tonight...oh, goodie, goodie!

Yeah as you know I'm in the same boat. We've comped sales around 20% over last year. It's just a madhouse. Not sure if I will ever understand it either...but it pays the bills!

Yeah as you know I'm in the same boat. We've comped sales around 20% over last year. It's just a madhouse. Not sure if I will ever understand it either...but it pays the bills!

I may be ready for a change soon, a big change.

I did! I have had the Kindle app on my iPad and iPhone for a while now. Got the real thing for Christmas - will be handy when I just want to read in bed without the backlight shining on my wife :). Planning on getting the lighted case.

Bought Augustine's confessions and to hear the "other side", also bought "Arminian Theology: Myths and realities" by Olson. Not finding any myths thus far :lol:

My grandparents gave me one. Totally unexpected. I'm very grateful. First thing I did was download the ESV for FREE. I don't even read the ESV, but free is free!

Second purchase: The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jerremiah Burroughs, $1.99.

I got one! I bought some books: Machen, Sproul, Hart, etc... archive.org has alot of public domain stuff in kindle format! I love it so far! I also got: Simpson's beer glasses, Star Wars cookie cutters, a new irish tie (very nice red), books of my choosing from wts books (bavinck bio, princeton history volumes, the always reformed volume by R. Scott Clark, and the works of John Frame on dvd for Logos!).

My grandparents gave me one. Totally unexpected. I'm very grateful. First thing I did was download the ESV for FREE. I don't even read the ESV, but free is free!

The HCSB is also available for free. It's more readable and modern than the ESV though I know most here prefer the ESV (outside of the KJV).

The HCSB is also available for free. It's more readable and modern than the ESV though I know most here prefer the ESV (outside of the KJV).

Maybe I'll grab that too just for reference. I read the KJV.

I bought one last year at Christmas time... love it... Welcome new owners... :)

I got half of one for Christmas.

The family was too poor to pay for the whole thing. =P

But I'm not complaining! I got it for less than half price. It's well worth it, from what I hear.

It should ship this week sometime.

Got my free ESV Bible. Also Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress and Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners are free. And Foxe's Book of Martyrs, and several George Mueller titles, and several Luther titles. I'm sure there's more, but you have to dig a little to find them.

I've heard that there are problems with some texts on Kindle: misspellings, typographical errors, words hyphenated in weird places - stuff like that. Has anyone run into these problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back