Who Defines "Reformed"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said Polo.... Go back and do a search for our past discussions. Look for Mike Renihan's (John Tombes) posts also on Genesis 17.

Randy, I read the past discussion. You just stated that you "believed Abrahamic covenant is ..." without really arguing for your position. You just keep asking people to go back and read Coxe or past discussion as if the conclusion is reached, but it's not. Go back to the past discussion, like this one: http://www.puritanboard.com/f31/esau-covenant-30290/ and argue exegetically, from the text, not just state you belief, that God established two covenants with Abraham, and that Coxe's view of covenant is the historical definition of covenant theology, please?

But again this is :offtopic:, sorry Dr. Clark.

Last edited:
As to Daniel's objections, I should (and will) add the qualification "the Reformed confessions as received by the churches." The American churches have rightly modified the WCF and BC to remove objectionable theocratic elements.

To echo the sentiments of your fine post linked in the OP -- the American churches do not get to define whether theocratic elements are objectionable or not. The establishment principle is reformed. Those who reject it are not.

As to Daniel's objections, I should (and will) add the qualification "the Reformed confessions as received by the churches." The American churches have rightly modified the WCF and BC to remove objectionable theocratic elements.

To echo the sentiments of your fine post linked in the OP -- the American churches do not get to define whether theocratic elements are objectionable or not. The establishment principle is reformed. Those who reject it are not.

So the (conservative) American Presbyterian churches are not Reformed?

So are they not Reformed, or not Reformed on the church/state issue?

The issue is one of historical identification. The question is, Who decides what is reformed? My answer is, Not those who reject the establishment principle. Those who reject the establishment principle seek to redefine reformed faith and life, and thereby place themselves outside the reformed tradition. Should clarification be asked, as you have done, I qualify that it is specifically on the issue of Church and State. But whether a man hits his golf ball out of bounds by an inch or a hundred feet makes no alteration to the fact that his ball is out of bounds and he has no right to redefine the golf course in order to call his ball in play.

It still is not altogether clear to me how Dr. Clark's use of the Confessions as received by the churches really definitively sets out what it means to be Reformed. I understand that the animus imponentis can clarify how a particular clause or chapter is to be understood, but I had thought that this was on points where there was ambiguity. If the American Presbyterians reject the Establishment principle or say that denial of creation in the space of six days is all right, why do they get to use the term "Reformed" of themselves? It seems like it comes down to a circular argument in that the Reformed Confessions define what it means to be Reformed; but those confessions are to be taken as received by the Reformed Churches; and if those churches receive them in a contradictory manner? How does this not come down to, "If a church says it is Reformed and receives a Reformed confession then the changes it makes to the Confession are OK and it is still Reformed." Help me out: what am I missing here?

Last edited:
My American denomination adheres to the Establishment Principle. :)
I don't mean any disrespect when I ask this: But what does it matter if hold such a view when your denomination isn't the established church?

A witness to the truth, grounded upon God's Word, always matters.

The same question could be directed to any witness to any particular subject where God's Word testifies to the duties of ecclesiastical or civil authority which are, in reality, lacking or deficient. If God requires it, it is better to testify to that truth, according to our place and station, then leave this doctrine, which is part of the whole counsel of God, left unsaid or actively opposed.

Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him. (Heb. 2.8)

Last edited:
Amen, brother. I entirely agree with your response. Probably I didn't form my question properly. Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread. :)

Is the burden of proof on me to pull all the historical documents to show that they did not call themselves Reformed? :scratch:

I have already indicated that I'm fine with the term "confessional" baptist and that I agree with Scott's differentiation. However, it is not difficult to see where the confusion comes from as the following quotes come from the Encyclopedia of the Reformed Faith.

By the way, does John Gerstner count as a Truly Reformed guy? This was his take on baptist theologian, Strong . . .

A Baptist leader, Strong was also that tradition’s most celebrated American theologian . . . Strong wrote what may be the most erudite Reformed Systematic theology ever written enriched greatly by his love for, acquaintance with, and participation in contemporary poetry, The Great Poets and Their Theology (1897). His deep influence on Carl Henry, one of the leading Baptist advocates of the Reformed faith today, is quite evident. JOHN H. GERSTNER

McKim, D. K., & Wright, D. F. (1992). Encyclopedia of the Reformed faith (1st ed.) (359). Louisville, Ky.; Edinburgh: Westminster/John Knox Press; Saint Andrew Press.

And, in a discussion of revivalism . . .

At the same time, emphases on providence and predestination have led many Reformed leaders to resist revivalism. As a result of Reformed ambiguity, many Baptists actually moved out of Reformed theology. Communions other than those of the Reformed family have supported revivalism most fervently.

McKim, D. K., & Wright, D. F. (1992). Encyclopedia of the Reformed faith (1st ed.) (325). Louisville, Ky.; Edinburgh: Westminster/John Knox Press; Saint Andrew Press.

And, when discussing "Calvinism in America" . . .

The Puritan and Scotch–Irish forms of Calvinism were organized into Congregational, Presbyterian, and Baptist churches. The Dutch Reformed, German Reformed, and other immigrant groups also established American churches during the eighteenth century.

McKim, D. K., & Wright, D. F. (1992). Encyclopedia of the Reformed faith (1st ed.) (50). Louisville, Ky.; Edinburgh: Westminster/John Knox Press; Saint Andrew Press.

These were all different articles by different scholars, all of them Reformed, writing in the Encyclopedia of Reformed Theology. Hey, guys. Don't beat up us baptists too badly when your own reference books make the same "mistakes." :lol:

Last edited:
A few questions and comments:

Is John Owen reformed? Wasn't we a congregationalist?

Who has the right to give us a sliding scale of who is more reformed than others?

Isn't it a prerogative of every group to define themselves as they wish. Presbyterians may sniffle and moan but if baptists want the category "reformed" in front of their names to identify themselves with the 1689 confession, then the reformed cannot stop them and should stop their whining.

Last time I checked there was no little copyright symbol above the name reformed.

Finally, given the company of those that call themselves "reformed" to include many groups that are grossly deviant in doctrine (whole groups falling away into apostasy), being a baptist who calls himself reformed or calvinisitic puts me in a lot better company.

P.S. Particular Baptist is a brand that is currently being used by many who trace their lineage from the anabaptist tradition. Therefore, this label, too, does not fit, for those that desire a modified WCF and are happy with the 1689. The term Sovereign grace baptist also is sometimes associated with more of a Fundyist and anti-confessional stance and so is not an adequate label. I prefer to simply call myself calvinistic and baptistic.

Earlier in this thread, I suggested Calvinistic Baptist as an appropriate title, even though Reformed is not. Later on, I found Blueridge Baptist's idea to be the best: "confessional baptist."

Interestingly though, Spurgeon (a baptist) had no problem with all of these terms.

Nay, we that are called reformed, are not one whit behind them in all manner of wickedness.
One of his greatest pieces was "A Defense of Calvinism," certainly thinking he was speaking ab out his own view.

“Salvation is of the Lord.” That is just an epitome of Calvinism; it is the sum and substance of it. If anyone should ask me what I mean by a Calvinist, I should reply, “He is one who says, Salvation is of the Lord.” I cannot find in Scripture any other doctrine than this. It is the essence of the Bible. “He only is my rock and my salvation” . . . What is the heresy of Rome, but the addition of something to the perfect merits of Jesus Christ—the bringing in of the works of the flesh, to assist in our justification? And what is the heresy of Arminianism but the addition of something to the work of the Redeemer? Every heresy, if brought to the touchstone, will discover itself here . . . I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. Heritage of great evangelical teaching : Featuring the best of Martin Luther, John Wesley, Dwight L. Moody, C.H. Spurgeon and others. 1997, c1996. Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

P.S. Particular Baptist is a brand that is currently being used by many who trace their lineage from the anabaptist tradition.

Pergy,

Really? I have never heard the term used other than to describe Reformational baptists (you know the ones tracing to Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli) AGAINST the anabaptists. In church history it was used to differentiate the Calvinistic baptists who believed in a "particular redemption" (the larger group) from the Arminian ones (the smaller group).

A few questions and comments:

Is John Owen reformed? Wasn't we a congregationalist?

Who has the right to give us a sliding scale of who is more reformed than others?

Isn't it a prerogative of every group to define themselves as they wish. Presbyterians may sniffle and moan but if baptists want the category "reformed" in front of their names to identify themselves with the 1689 confession, then the reformed cannot stop them and should stop their whining.

Last time I checked there was no little copyright symbol above the name reformed.

Finally, given the company of those that call themselves "reformed" to include many groups that are grossly deviant in doctrine (whole groups falling away into apostasy), being a baptist who calls himself reformed or calvinisitic puts me in a lot better company.

P.S. Particular Baptist is a brand that is currently being used by many who trace their lineage from the anabaptist tradition. Therefore, this label, too, does not fit, for those that desire a modified WCF and are happy with the 1689. The term Sovereign grace baptist also is sometimes associated with more of a Fundyist and anti-confessional stance and so is not an adequate label. I prefer to simply call myself calvinistic and baptistic.

I have heard others use the term "Historic Baptist" but that can be problematic as well because some will associate it with Landmarkism.

"reformed"

I enjoy using the term Reformed Baptist in conversation with people who ask what I believe. Everyone has heard of Baptist churches. When I say "reformed" They almost always respond with- What do you mean reformed baptist? This tells me that unlike most of the brethren in here ,the person who inquires about the adjective reformed , does not know the difference between , a Baptist, Presbyterian,Christian Reformed ,etc.
So I use it as an opportunity to explain that in general that believer's in these churches are generally more earnest in their desire to search out the truth of scripture.
I then in some way speak to the doctrines of grace. I try to make a simple yet clear explanation of the saving work of Christ.
I point out that I can fellowship with any believer who is saved by the blood of Christ, that we are brother's, even if we might differ on some of what we understand from scripture.
In linking to the term "reformed" I have always tried to lengthen the cord,and strengthen the stakes. What I mean by that is, I like some of what Luther wrote, but I am not Lutheran . Why are we not all Lutherans?
I like what I have read about some of the Scottish Covenanter's in the book Fair Sunshine, Why are we not all Scottish Covenanter's?
Many of my books are written By Presbyterian's. Indeed I am eternally grateful to God that he has used many different living stones, with different levels of maturity to help me learn more about the word of our God.
So in general ,in public, I am not meeting that many persons who make as fine a distinction as some of you brother's are want to do.
If I can plant a seed in someone's mind that God will allow to grow I will rejoice with the angels for that person if and when God gives new life to them.
I would not have a problem with linking a new convert with most of the men in here, because I know that you are in the word,and serious about the command to make disciples. If you are teaching something that needs correction, I am confident that the Spirit of God is able to correct and guide His Sheep, despite some of our failings as we have this treasure in earthen vessels.:)

The term Calvinist - as it is used today - refers to someone who holds to the five points, hence, there are numerous books called the five points of Calvinism.
Calvin wrote in the Institutes about a lot more than just soteriology (the "five points") -- I wonder if he'd appreciate his name being limited to represent only that. :think:

I'm not sure he would appreciate his name being used at all for "labels", but point well taken.

The term Calvinist - as it is used today - refers to someone who holds to the five points, hence, there are numerous books called the five points of Calvinism.
Calvin wrote in the Institutes about a lot more than just soteriology (the "five points") -- I wonder if he'd appreciate his name being limited to represent only that. :think:

I'm not sure he would appreciate his name being used at all for "labels", but point well taken.

Luther also was amazed that anyone would attach his name to the Church, referring to himself as a Pig if I remember correctly.

Why are we not all Scottish Covenanter's?

That would be because we're not Scottish. And yet there is no reason why we should not all wholeheartedly embrace the principles taught in the covenants seeing as they are the very principles taught by the Bible.

Historically, there were two group of Reformers: the Magisterial Reformers and the Radical Reformers. The Magisterial Reformers comprised of the Lutherans, Presbyterians, Calvinists and Baptists. The Radical Reformers comprised of the Anabaptists and the Moravian Brethren.

R. Scott, why do you feel only the Presbyterians should have a stake on the term, "Reformed," when historically, Presbyterians were just one of many?

P.S. Particular Baptist is a brand that is currently being used by many who trace their lineage from the anabaptist tradition.

Pergy,

Really? I have never heard the term used other than to describe Reformational baptists (you know the ones tracing to Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli) AGAINST the anabaptists. In church history it was used to differentiate the Calvinistic baptists who believed in a "particular redemption" (the larger group) from the Arminian ones (the smaller group).

In Spurgeon's Day I remember one reference Spurgeon used to identify calvinistic baptists as "Particular" and of course, William Carey's society was the "Particular Baptist Missionary society for the Propagation of the Gospel among the Heathen". So, you are quite right as to the historica use of the term "Particular" baptist.

In our day I usually hear "Particular Baptist" used differently. There is a Particular Baptist Press that is run by a dear brother Gary Long in Springfield, Missouri who strongly seems anabaptist and attempts to trace baptist heritage through the anabaptists rather than the English Baptists it seems. I have talked to others as well who refer to themselves as "Particular" and who prefer to think of their tradition as coming out of continental anabaptism rather than English congregational history.

Dr. Clark's OP was directed to the question of who gets to define "reformed." Well, the definition of "reformed" has long been established. Current understandings of the word "reformed" are not definitions, but redefinitions. Many today like to use the word to established their orthodox bona fide's, however if you use the term "reformed" in a manner other that its long established meaning, then you are misusing it, no matter your doctrinal stance. Words are coined to foster communication between people, when you pour your own meaning into words it fosters miscommunication. Thus to call yourself "Reformed Baptist" lays the groundwork for all manner of misunderstanding.

In one sense "reformed" would mean that one's tradition draws from the Reformation, whether that branch is magesterial or radical.

Perhaps a better terminology would be "Reformational Baptist" or "Reforming"...

P.S. What would we call John Owen if we deny that he is Reformed?

To be perfectly truthful, I do not think posts like this help the cause of Christ in the world; does nit-picking and arguing over labels really bring any glory to God?

Daniel,

I appreciate your concern about nit-picking. My response to Dr. Clark's OP was not intended to argue with the TR brethren or to claim baptists are Reformed. I accept as valid Scott's essential point that the Reformed ought to have the right to define themselves as they wish. That such definition does not include me does not offend me in the least. I am a baptist who believes in the doctrines of grace, not a Reformed/Presbyterian. Actually, Daniel, my original response to Clark was intended to say that I agree with his article and wanted to raise a couple of related issues, not to nit pick the man.

I am a 5-pointer who would rather exalt in the majestic sovereignty of God in all his creation than the dignity of a partially fallen creature (to paraphrase Nettles). From a strictly linguistic and historical consideration, I think that gives me a right to claim to be Calvinistic, as in a Calvinistic Baptist as opposed to an Arminian Baptist, even though it is not theologically or historically permitted to describe this as Reformed.

You do raise some interesting points which Scott addressed in part. The "Reformed" people who taught me in seminary were published authors, noted scholars (one eventually to become the moderator of the 213th General Assembly of the largest Presbyterian denomination in America) and all around muck-e-mucks of Reformed thought. I simply find it ironic that my TR brethren on PB should find more in common with my theology (inerrancy, confessional 1689 baptist, creationist, complementarian, no gay marriage/ordination, etc.) than with a majority of pastors and lay people (by head count) in the officially Reformed or Presbyterian denominations.

Again, no whining here. I'm a baptist not a presbyterian, so I can't be Reformed. But I'll take baptist John Piper over presbyterian Jack Rogers any day. And, even among Refomed people, give me R.C. Sproul in a heart beat over the typical current graduates (or professors) at Princeton, Pittsburgh (except our dear PB brother), or McCormick.

Baptists are saddled with Arminians (now the majority). You presbyterians are stuck with a majority that I do not believe accepts what most of you Reformed guys on PB believe.

Amen!

From a Refor.....er.......calvinis.. . . ..er..... particula.......er...... oh just a Baptist who holds to the doctrines of grace.

Granted I think there is only one way to spit a hair :D

Blessings,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back