Who controls whom? The confessions or the churches

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Word Etymology-"reformed"

I would like to start out by saying that the Confessions (as stated in prior posts) were and are an outline of the Churches' beliefs, and is considered a guide for the congregations in learning sound Scriptural doctrine. The genius of the WCF Larger and Shorter is amazing to me (the originals that is). One could spend quite a lot of time with their Bible(s) and the Confessions alone for their private learning...in fact, going through them as a regular practice over the course of one's life would be a good idea.

I see, where one would question whether the Confessions become more important than Scripture, and I concur with the notion that in many cases this is just so. When I discuss doctrine, I almost never refer to anything outside of Scripture, though the place I first learned of a particular doctrine may not have been from a Bible reading, but from studying another source. It may have been the Institutes, or perhaps something by John Owen, but, I don't mention it as such, in every or most instances. With that, I could question the idea of whether the same question(s) could not be infered toward Reformed writers/ scholars. Perhaps another "thread"?

My other focus was on the quote of "the Church reformed and always reforming". There is the matter of WHAT the statement is refering to by the choice of words. Like "Church". What is meant by the word? or in the case of "reformed"...the word according to it's etymology in the time of the reformers carried the meaning "to bring (a person) out of an evil course of life". With that in mind, could it not simply mean that being the Church considered it's self "reformed AND always reforming" to mean it had already acknowledged it's condition as BEING reformed, and yet the purpose for it was to "bring (a persion) out of an evil course of life"? Where members are always vigilant to keep a watchful eye against all manner of evil? Whether of doctrinal heresy from "wolves in sheeps clothing", understanding the deceptive ways of Rome, as well as personal reform from evil ways...and the reforming of sinful ways of the others in the same congregation?

I don't believe it meant that they were constantly reforming their Standards as much as it was a mindset against the heresies of the day, that we frequently see and hear today. It is a practice of one's BEING reformed. Kind of like, BEING a Christian. Perhaps the idea came from the idea that we are Justified, and the resulting effectual work of the Spirit making one born again, (reformed?) would result in an effectual work of Sanctification (reforming?) making one not only a Christian once but for all time? "I am crucified with Christ, never the less I live, yet not I but it is Christ that liveth in me" and other verses such as "Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound"? How can we who are dead to sin live any longer therein", and "make thine election sure", all come to mind, as many others are as I type. Like as Paul was chief of sinners and did not count himself as having already attained...etc., etc.

Well, I'm sure you get the gist of it. Hope this adds a bit of "beef jerky" to your spiritual diet for the day ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back