Who are the modern Puritans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beeke has some excellent sermons as well.

I'll say! I downloaded many of them and transfered to my MP3. now when I walk in the mornings I often listen to one of Beeke's sermons.

He was at the 2006 Banner of Truth conference in Penn. I asked him why he always repeats his points at the beginning of his sermons. He said it was to help out those note-takers who write slow.

Dr. Beeke has inflanced me beyond anyone else [when it comes to prayer and meditation]. He is a true Puritan and faithful brother.

I'd vote for Iain Murray too.

Murray has written many excellent books, and has done yeoman work since the 1950s in promoting the Puritans.

The only stain on his career was his re-writing of Arthur W. Pink's The Sovereignty of God to suit himself. Not a very ethical move, frankly.

His "Spurgeon vs. Hyper-Calvinism", "Wesley and the Men Who Followed" and his attack on psalmody have also been quite a stain on his career. I think he has lost a lot of credibility in his scholarship since he began trying to rewrite history to his own thinking.

Murray has written many excellent books, and has done yeoman work since the 1950s in promoting the Puritans.

The only stain on his career was his re-writing of Arthur W. Pink's The Sovereignty of God to suit himself. Not a very ethical move, frankly.

what do you mean? I have the BT "Sovereignty of God", what did he change?

As I've said before, I prefer the old Murray to the new Murray on the regulative principle of worship.
His "Spurgeon vs. Hyper-Calvinism", "Wesley and the Men Who Followed" and his attack on psalmody have also been quite a stain on his career. I think he has lost a lot of credibility in his scholarship since he began trying to rewrite history to his own thinking.

Murray's work on conversion and assurance outweigh his bad views on worship. The first two are a far more important part of puritan theology. Thanks for bringing them to my attention though. Otherwise I would've lumped him in with puritan giants like Beeke.

Off the subject sort of...I clicked on that link that was provided for sermons by Joel Beeke. I tried to listen to one of them but was unable. Does one have to pay to listen to them?!:think:

I've downloaded a bunch without any problem, they just ask for my email once in a while, that's about it.

As for [a little less] modern Puritans, I'd add John L. Dagg.

I believe he removed about 7 chapters from the book that he didn't agree with. The Baker edition is complete.

Yes, Murray re-wrote portions of Pink's book, edited out a lot of material and, I think, added a chapter of his own at the end. (It's been awhile since I've compared the two versions.) I always recommend that people buy the Baker Books edition, which is Pink's original book, rather than the Banner of Truth edition, which is Murray's "invented" Pink book.

If someone disagrees with how an author has stated a theological position in a published book, his options are: (1) write a long review article stating his disagreements and his opinion as to why the author is wrong; or (2) write his own book in answer to the author he disagrees with.

What you most certainly do not do is re-write the author's book to suit yourself.

Sometimes it makes me wonder what other books the Banner of Truth has tinkered with over the years - none, I hope.

Sometimes it makes me wonder what other books the Banner of Truth has tinkered with over the years - none, I hope.

I have wondered the same thing. I have been told that Thomas Watson's Body of Divinity, The Lords Prayer, and The Ten Commandments were originally a lot larger than the BoT editions.

Well I finally downloaded one of Joel Beeke's sermons!!!:cheers2: That's one of the things I LOVE about forums & this one in particular. I get exposed to people I haven't heard about. I'm SO grateful to be able to download sermons on the net. I've been overdosing on Piper in his page & now this. Anyone else you all would recommend?

I would like to be one...

...except I don't think I could find any of those leather/wooden boots they wore in a size 12/13 today. People use to be smaller. A godly people but smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back