Which Seminary Would You Choose for this Approach?

What seminary would you choose for this study?

• Westminster Seminary California MA Historical Theology (currently my top choice)

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Reformed Theological Seminary, Jackson MA Theological Studies

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • RTS-Orlando, MA Chirstian Thought

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary, Master of Theological Studies

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary, Master of Theological Studies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mid-America Reformed Seminary, Master of Theological Studies

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theoretical

Puritan Board Professor
As a preface, I am a Political Science undergraduate student looking at a number of different options vocationally, especially within academia. With that in mind, I am considering Lay MA Theological Studies-type degrees, preferably with language programs, because I wish to gain a strong theological education that I could perhaps use in doctoral academic theological studies, religious history degrees, or providing a theological training to approach historical, legal, or political studies.

At this time, I do not believe I am in any way called to pastoral ministry, as I do not believe I'm even remotely spiritually mature enough to take on that high and valuable office. Even though some around me have suggested I undertake this course, I think it would only be after I've grown from living responsibly in a different vocation and raising a family that I *might* reconsider this option.

Nonetheless, I do want the training, at the very minimum to provide a rich pool of learning for my future children, and I also believe I could serve my local church well with this sort of intermediate training.

So in answering this poll, I'd appreciate reasons why you would recommend the chosen seminary in particular from among my listed choices.

Last edited:
From what I know of other seminaries I voted for both WTS CA and Greenville.

Cheaper would be Greenville, and they have great languages there.

Cheaper would be Greenville, and they have great languages there.

Judging by this incomplete sentence you definitely need help with the English language. :D

I chose Westminster however since it is my alma mater and I believe I can say, without an inordinate amount of bias, that if you are pursuing a degree in historical theology you cannot go wrong with Clark, Godfrey & Horton. And if you don't believe me, just talk to the many alumni who went on to get their doctorates in that field.

Westminster West where Horton and Godfrey are and the New Perspectives are not.

Westminster in Dallas although a satellite of Philadelphia has some outstanding profs in Sinclair Ferguson and John Hannah, the New Perspectives lies are being combated away at the door of the Dallas campus despite Philly.

Jackson, MS is affecting my language too much. This is ridiculous. I am from Illinois and I talk as a dumb southerner.

I have not began the studies yet, I anticipate the arrival of my materials as early as next week, so I can not give a first hand referral based on experience, but I enrolled in the virtual campus of RTS based on research, and the recommendations of former students. Some of those students were traditional, attending RTS Jackson. As far as your observation Andrew, quoted above, perhaps your language was "affected" before you got down here. To be a "southerner" is not to equated with being "dumb". I can assure you that label and condition can be applied regardless of one's location.

Last edited:
As a graduate of Northwest Theological Seminary in Lynnwood, WA, I cannot speak highly enough about the school and especially about Professor James Dennison. His historical knowledge and ability to teach is unrivaled in my experience. It is definitely my top reccomendation. Second to NWTS, I would say that Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary (the real name of Beeke's school) is quite impressive.:2cents:

Judging by this incomplete sentence you definitely need help with the English language. :D

How was that an incomplete sentence? "Cheaper would be Greenville" has a subject and a predicate. Greenville, being the subject, just comes at the end instead of the beginning. Maybe my thinking has become too Germanized.

I voted for WSC. That's where I hope to be :) We can study together!

Regarding the "Master of Theological Studies" programs, is that the same as a ThM? If so, I think an MDiv is required to do those.

I have not began the studies yet, I anticipate the arrival of my materials as early as next week, so I can not give a first hand referral based on experience, but I enrolled in the virtual campus of RTS based on research, and the recommendations of former students. Some of those students were traditional, attending RTS Jackson. As far as your observation Andrew, quoted above, perhaps your language was "affected" before you got down here. To be a "southerner" is not to equated with being "dumb". I can assure you that label and condition can be applied regardless of one's location.

Saying dumb southerner did not mean that all southerners are dumb, I was specifically talking about DUMB one's (Southerners who are dumb). You could call them Rednecks, but then again, there are some of those who are smart too. My english which wasn't satisfactory to begin with has gone down to further mumblings.

Westminster West where Horton and Godfrey are and the New Perspectives are not.

Westminster in Dallas although a satellite of Philadelphia has some outstanding profs in Sinclair Ferguson and John Hannah, the New Perspectives lies are being combated away at the door of the Dallas campus despite Philly.

Ferguson is no longer there, he is a pastor in NC or SC, i forget now.

Regarding the "Master of Theological Studies" programs, is that the same as a ThM? If so, I think an MDiv is required to do those.

Master of Theological Studies is not ThM (Master of Theology).

The former is like a Master of Arts degree (comparable). To be able to do a ThM, you have to have a Masters degree of some sorts (like Masters of Theological Studies or MDiv).

MDiv is not required for either. Just a Masters for ThM. Bachelors degree is required for MDiv and Master of Theological Studies.

Scott,

At the risk of being chastised by the seminary crowd, I believe you would be best served by doing something on your own - perhaps using the free lectures at Covenant's website. RTS also has the entire Systematic I course with Doug Kelly available as a download through iTunes. Greenville also has a good distance program. An MA at a seminary will be of almost no help to you in the academic world (e.g. as a prerequisite for some secular doctorate). The only real reason to go to seminary is for pastoral training (in my opinion). It is a very expensive and time consuming option simply to be "better studied." A better approach would be to find someone (your pastor, an elder or another minister) to go through Calvin's Institutes and Cunningham's Historical Theology with you. There are also tons of free audio lectures online - Van Til, Murray, etc. Sermonaudio is a great resource for this. If you needed it, I could burn a CD with a hundred or more MP3s of this sort and send it to you.

Scott,

At the risk of being chastised by the seminary crowd, I believe you would be best served by doing something on your own - perhaps using the free lectures at Covenant's website. RTS also has the entire Systematic I course with Doug Kelly available as a download through iTunes. Greenville also has a good distance program. An MA at a seminary will be of almost no help to you in the academic world (e.g. as a prerequisite for some secular doctorate). The only real reason to go to seminary is for pastoral training (in my opinion). It is a very expensive and time consuming option simply to be "better studied." A better approach would be to find someone (your pastor, an elder or another minister) to go through Calvin's Institutes and Cunningham's Historical Theology with you. There are also tons of free audio lectures online - Van Til, Murray, etc. Sermonaudio is a great resource for this. If you needed it, I could burn a CD with a hundred or more MP3s of this sort and send it to you.

What about for someone like myself who is interested in a PhD in Church History or something along those lines? Do you think an MA at a Seminary is a bad choice to help reach that goal? I'm really interested in the MA in Historical Theology at WSC.

Master of Theological Studies is not ThM (Master of Theology).

The former is like a Master of Arts degree (comparable). To be able to do a ThM, you have to have a Masters degree of some sorts (like Masters of Theological Studies or MDiv).

MDiv is not required for either. Just a Masters for ThM. Bachelors degree is required for MDiv and Master of Theological Studies.

Thanks for the clarification. :up:

What about for someone like myself who is interested in a PhD in Church History or something along those lines? Do you think an MA at a Seminary is a bad choice to help reach that goal? I'm really interested in the MA in Historical Theology at WSC.
:ditto: That's kind of also along the lines of what I'm interested in doing, at least as one possibility.

Saying dumb southerner did not mean that all southerners are dumb, I was specifically talking about DUMB one's (Southerners who are dumb). You could call them Rednecks, but then again, there are some of those who are smart too. My english which wasn't satisfactory to begin with has gone down to further mumblings.

I understand. Would you care to rate or comment on your experience at RTS thus far? :D I would welcome any advice you might give.

Scott,

I agree with Pastor Greco. Through the internet there are so many resources available to continue to improve your mind if that is all you are interested in.

However, the fact that you are not interested in Pastoring makes me wonder if the Lord is going to...hummm.

I understand. Would you care to rate or comment on your experience at RTS thus far? :D I would welcome any advice you might give.

My experience at RTS JACKSON has been great, but I am studying to become a Pastor. I wouldn't recommend to someone wanting to do an MA in Theological Studies to necessarily come here (I wouldn't not though either). I am also of the same opinion as Fred that seminary should typically be for those who want to enter pastoral ministry. I think RTS JACKSON is great for that purpose. If you want to do Theological Studies I would suggest those above that I suggested.

I agree with Pastor Greco. Through the internet there are so many resources available to continue to improve your mind if that is all you are interested in.

However, the fact that you are not interested in Pastoring makes me wonder if the Lord is going to...hummm.
I guess as a clarification, it isn't that I'm not interested in pastoring - it's that I regard myself as far too spiritually immature at this stage in my life to consider it. Basically, I know there is a huge responsiblity for anyone who teaches whatsoever in the church; indeed, how much more so for anyone who aspires to Preach the Word and administer the Sacraments. At this stage in my life, while I've strongly considered pastoral ministry, on the other hand I know that numerous personal disciplines and a sense of stability in the context of exercising sound leadership of my own family would greatly help me, and might indeed lead me to this calling.

More than anything, this is a maturity issue where I'm striving to grow rapidly, but where I'm worried about entering specific pastoral seminary training as not having sufficient strength to enter (especially because I'm still working to unload lots of past immaturity from my childhood and ill disciplehship for my years in Methodsim and a spiritually dead home).

Basically, how much maturity (besides a lot) is needed before going into seminary, and how much is developed in the pastoral training context of a seminary. I will admit that I would strongly consider pastoral ministry, but I know only a few are called to this high office.

I guess as a clarification, it isn't that I'm not interested in pastoring - it's that I regard myself as far too spiritually immature at this stage in my life to consider it. Basically, I know there is a huge responsiblity for anyone who teaches whatsoever in the church; indeed, how much more so for anyone who aspires to Preach the Word and administer the Sacraments. At this stage in my life, while I've strongly considered pastoral ministry, on the other hand I know that numerous personal disciplines and a sense of stability in the context of exercising sound leadership of my own family would greatly help me, and might indeed lead me to this calling.

More than anything, this is a maturity issue where I'm striving to grow rapidly, but where I'm worried about entering specific pastoral seminary training as not having sufficient strength to enter (especially because I'm still working to unload lots of past immaturity from my childhood and ill disciplehship for my years in Methodsim and a spiritually dead home).

Basically, how much maturity (besides a lot) is needed before going into seminary, and how much is developed in the pastoral training context of a seminary. I will admit that I would strongly consider pastoral ministry, but I know only a few are called to this high office.

I would say: 1) you need to determine if you think you are called to become a pastor (internal call) and 2) you need to go talk to your pastor and seek guidance/wisdom on this (Plans fail for lack of counsel).

If you plan to get a Ph.D., you'll want to stick to the accredited schools (either Westminster, RTS, RPTS and MARS). A non-accredited masters will likely prevent you from getting a Ph.D. from a good university and many seminaries.

Also, not all Master of Theological Studies or seminary M.A.s are pre-doctoral. Many of them are terminal degrees for lay persons.

If you plan to get a Ph.D., you'll want to stick to the accredited schools (either Westminster, RTS, RPTS and MARS). A non-accredited masters will likely prevent you from getting a Ph.D. from a good university and many seminaries.

Is it pretty difficult in general to get into a good PhD program with a master's from a seminary? I've heard that WSC has decent placement but I don't know anything about other Christian graduate schools.

Is it pretty difficult in general to get into a good PhD program with a master's from a seminary? I've heard that WSC has decent placement but I don't know anything about other Christian graduate schools.

I'm sure it depends on the seminary. One of my good friends got her M.A. in Church History from Gordon-Conwell and is now in a Ph.D. program at Notre Dame, which is one of the best in the country. But she's also really, really smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back