Which is More Efficacious, Reading Scripture, or Sermons/Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arch2k

Puritan Board Graduate
I have read several places that in the public worship of God, the Puritans viewed the preaching of the word to be an especially effective means of grace. It is the Word of God expounded and explained so that the congregation understands what the scriptures teach.

WLC
Question 155: How is the Word made effectual to salvation?

Answer: The Spirit of God makes the reading, but especially the preaching of the Word, an effectual means of enlightening, convincing, and humbling sinners; of driving them out of themselves, and drawing them unto Christ; of conforming them to his image, and subduing them to his will; of strengthening them against temptations and corruptions; of building them up in grace, and establishing their hearts in holiness and comfort through faith unto salvation.

I often learn much more from reading theological books (not a sermon in the strictest sense, but similar in some aspects), then I do from strictly reading scripture. I am the first to admit that my Scripture reading is often lacking and in place is a theological work by a puritan or reformed scholar on a theological topic or passage of scripture.

What kind of balance should I look for in my reading? Obviously, the end goal is to understand scripture itself, but I often learn more scripture (even memorization etc.) from theological works than from scripture (and I'm not sure that is a good thing).

In today's day and age, where countless books/sermons etc. etc. are readily available to the common man, what is our duty in private study?

A quote to consider:

It is not the letter of the Word that ordinarily doth convert, but the spiritual meaning of it, as revealed and expounded...There is the letter, the husk; and there is the spirit, the kernel; and when we by expounding the word do open the husk, out drops the kernel. And so it is the spiritual meaning of the Word let into the heart which converst it and turns it unto God. -Thomas Goodwin

Jeff,

When I first was "introduced" to the Puritans and Reformed theology, I read until my eyes hurt. I began reading more than studying. After a time, I had to think about this. I am empowered by the Spirit, regenerated, and believe the Scriptures. I want to know the Scriptures more. In studying the Scriptures, I come to know Christ more intimately. I should desire to study first, and then after that, check my work, or look to others the Lord has gifted to help me with my own studies. If I simply rely on others all the time, I'll never be sanctified in studying. Studying is hard. Reading books is MUCH easier.

But is that what God wants us to do? Read Psalm 119 for the answer.

I have read several places that in the public worship of God, the Puritans viewed the preaching of the word to be an especially effective means of grace. It is the Word of God expounded and explained so that the congregation understands what the scriptures teach.

I'm sure this was not intended, but the language above might be taken to suggest that private hearing/reading is equivalent to public worship and hearing of the preached Word.

I think the divines had public worship in mind. So there is another distinction to be made, the public and official act as distinct from a private act.

There is another distinction, preaching comes through the ears and reading comes through the eyes.

Scripture commands preaching. It prefers, in this regard, the ears (if you will) over the eyes.

The preaching of the Word is ineffecient and, to all appearances, foolish -- but it is THE divinely appointed means of grace to which Christ has attached his promise that by it the Spirit brings his elect to faith (Rom 10; Heidelberg Catechism 65 and WLC 155).

Teaching, whether by book or in the classroom is a wonderful thing, but it is not the same thing as preaching nor is it intended to be. Nor is public preaching in the congregation the same as private reading or even the hearing of sermons privately.

That said, we should always begin our learning with Scripture itself. It is always the measuring stick for everything else. Our reading will go in natural cycles, however. We need to understand what we're reading in Scripture and good books can help us do that.

rsc

Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon
Jeff,

When I first was "introduced" to the Puritans and Reformed theology, I read until my eyes hurt. I began reading more than studying. After a time, I had to think about this. I am empowered by the Spirit, regenerated, and believe the Scriptures. I want to know the Scriptures more. In studying the Scriptures, I come to know Christ more intimately. I should desire to study first, and then after that, check my work, or look to others the Lord has gifted to help me with my own studies. If I simply rely on others all the time, I'll never be sanctified in studying. Studying is hard. Reading books is MUCH easier.

But is that what God wants us to do? Read Psalm 119 for the answer.

... Matt would this studying also include personally "expositing" great Theological works from Turrentine, Calvin, Luther, Edwards, Watson, Witsius, Owen, etc. - in order to aide in gaining a proper understanding of the Scriptures?

In reading the puritian books i have a greater understanding about their methods of devotional intent in a theological structure. You are constantly reminded of the means of grace and through their individual gifts how they stepped into your mental processes and worked to have an effect on your motivations. There are distinctions between the study of the text, the meditation of the text, and the hearing of the text preached. The puritians understood this distinction and the importance that meditation of the text played which i think has been lost in modern world of extensive tools for exegesis.The nature of worship in the assembly is of a heavenly one. The understanding of just what that nature of worship and its effects apoun the heart depends apoun that transformation that happens in the believer as he renews his mind through the word throughout the week.

... and in many cases the "modern world of extensive tools for exegesis" has created a generation of men who cannot or do not really read the original languages in their proper historical context. This may be less true in Reformed circles, but it's a huge problem in many Dispensational and Pentecostal/Charismatic groups. It's the problem of examining "the bark on a single tree" rather than seeing how the tree "fits in the forrest".

Thank you everyone!

Psa 119:33 Teach me, O LORD, the way of Your statutes, And I shall keep it to the end.
Psa 119:34 Give me understanding, and I shall keep Your law; Indeed, I shall observe it with my whole heart.
Psa 119:35 Make me walk in the path of Your commandments, For I delight in it.

:amen:

The scriptures are our daily bread, may we not forget that they are our means of grace!

I would say that it was only after reading some profound exposition of the word that I began to be enraptured with raw scripture. And I still am. I am going through the Book of Revelation from a non eschatological point of view, and I am amazed at the awesomeness of Christ and the terrible judgments of God where He recompenses the wicked. Talk about doctrine with brute imagery.

In all instances, the Word comes above and beyond all theological works, study guides, and expositions. Striking a balance in the substance of reading is important, so ensure that the theological writings don't overshadow the Word.

Of course, the danger is evidenced in many circles where books end up taking precedence over the Bible.

My personal devotionals consist of reading the Word, prayerfully and with meditation. I have a computer application where you can read scripture in one window, and have corresponding study guides/expositions in the next window. Sometimes it helps to read another man's opinion, sometimes it doesn't.

Originally posted by trevorjohnson
Fascinating thread...thanks so much for bringing up this topic.

Sin came in through the eye-gate - but faith always seems to enter in through the ear-gate.

Faith comes by HEARING......

A further question......

Several older men whom I admire have "retired" from a pastoral ministry to pursue "writing ministries".

In light of this thread, this decision,apart from health reasons (which they donot have - they are healthy oldermen) is a decision to depart from an area of greater importance and need to an area of lesser importance and need, is is not?

There is something about speaking the word to ourselves out loud as we memorize and meditate. As if we were preaching to ourselves. There is sort of a filial relationship in the spoken word of God moving us and granting us desires that are changing us as we are speaking into time where ever we are. The word does not return void. Thats why the psalmist said day and night. I have been meditating on a psalm the last couple of weeks and its interesting to see that what was created was spoken into existence by God and even the sustenance is a spoken sustenance. So in a sense that creation is preaching to us the soveriegnty of God.

[Edited on 1-6-2006 by mybigGod]

[Edited on 1-6-2006 by mybigGod]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back