Where'd Augustine say this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
According to a friar at the council of Trent, Augustine supposedly said that it is sin not only to refer an action to a bad end but also not to refer it to a good one. In which of his works might Augustine have made such a comment?

If you had the Latin text, you might be able to search for it in a database. Are you sure it's a quote, or might it be an allusion to a general concept? One place to check might be the florilegium in circulation in the 16th century.

That idea is so pervasive in Augustine's theology that it could appear almost anywhere.

It is not a quote but the subject; if I had the Latin I'm pretty sure I could find it given most of Migne is online. It is not super critical particularly if as you say it is pervasive; the reference notes the friar cited several works.
If you had the Latin text, you might be able to search for it in a database. Are you sure it's a quote, or might it be an allusion to a general concept? One place to check might be the florilegium in circulation in the 16th century.

That idea is so pervasive in Augustine's theology that it could appear almost anywhere.

According to a friar at the council of Trent, Augustine supposedly said that it is sin not only to refer an action to a bad end but also not to refer it to a good one. In which of his works might Augustine have made such a comment?

Sounds like you would find it in "On Evil".

See page 91 here:

On evil - Google Books

Probably some searching on sins of omission + Augustine would locate a few gems.

AMR

Thanks Phil; I have an english translation of the Sarpi and am presently trying to make sure I have the same passage in the Latin in case some actual reference was given in the Latin but not given in the English. Thanks for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back