Where did Martin Luther

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwsmith

Puritan Board Freshman
refer to, or us the term snow covered dung? RC's bring this up and here's a rebuttal from a post on another board, and edited a bit:

In times past, a __catholic poster brought this up. When "bjbear" asked for a citation, there was none offered.

Reputable Protestant scholars hadn’t heard of it – so he wrote the Catholic apologists who "quoted" Luther (Hahn, Keating, Ray, etc.), they all answered, but none knew where it came from.

. . . At Concordia University (Lutheran) in River Forest, Illinois . . . no one heard of such a thing. Nor had scholars from the ECLA, LCMS, and WELS,

A Christians named Servant had a group of "armchair" theologians pour over his writings, but none could find it (they even searched the entirety of Luther's Works by Pelikan on CD).

Is Patrick F. O'Hare's The Facts About Luther the source?

Or has James White cited it, or Hank Hanagraaf said it on a radio show?

I've heard the quote before, and I've heard it attributed to Luther. However, I'm not certain of where he said it or if he even did. Still a pretty good discription of works righteousness though, whoever said it.

I've heard the quote before, and I've heard it attributed to Luther. However, I'm not certain of where he said it or if he even did. Still a pretty good discription of works righteousness though, whoever said it.

I've often heard it attributed to Luther. However, I couldn't find it. The closest I came was ... For this is the way sins are covered, even a multitude, a heap, a sea, a forest of sins. How does it do this? It does not mean my sin in the way the pope interprets this, i.e., whenever I love God and my neighbor then I blot out my sins.8 No. It is another’s love, namely, Christ’s love, which has covered my sins, as Peter says in chapter two: He bore them in his body on the cross and erased them completely [I Pet. 2:24]. This is said with regard to your sins, the sins you commit against me and I against you.

Luther, M. (1999, c1959). Vol. 51: Luther's works, vol. 51 : Sermons I (J. J. Pelikan, H. C. Oswald & H. T. Lehmann, Ed.). Luther's Works (51:297). Philadelphia: Fortress Press.

refer to, or us the term snow covered dung? RC's bring this up and here's a rebuttal from a post on another board, and edited a bit

As regards the RCs, I did find this quote from Luther ...

The devil, through God’s wrath over our sins, has fertilized us with big, bad fools and big, crude asses in Rome, who think only in this way, “We read no books, so nobody else will read them either; instead, the beasts will have to regard as articles what we asses fart and dung. The reason: they believe we are St. Peter’s heirs and cannot err.”
Luther, M. (1999, c1966). Vol. 41: Luther's works, vol. 41 : Church and Ministry III (J. J. Pelikan, H. C. Oswald & H. T. Lehmann, Ed.). Luther's Works (41:372). Philadelphia: Fortress Press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back