Where did Darby come up with Dispensationalism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! I am wondering if anyone can tell me any books or articles on-line where John Darby explains in his own words how and why he came to formalize dispensationalism and where the idea come from (his understanding of Scripture or some other influence) ? Was he covenantal before this point? Was there any other hermeneutic besides covenantal before dispensationalism? I know some authors who are covenantal but still use word "dispensation" but only when referring to "old dispensation" and "new dispensation, which I believe would merely be referring to "old covenant" and "new covenant". This would be much different in meaning then a dispensationlists using the word "dispensation, correct?

Thanks!

For His Glory-
Matthew Wilson

Matthew, I'll address the use of "dispensation" -- yes, you're reading that correctly. When the Reformed use it, it is synonymous with "covenant." Thus, the "old dispensation" = the "old covenant." A covenantal usage is thereby distinguished from a dispensationalist usage.

I'm not terribly familiar with Darby so I'm not sure where to start you off on a search, other than Googling with care...

I found this to be more along the lines from what I have read and understood. This looks well done and accurate. I would also recommend anything by William Cox on the subject matter.

darby1

I'm looking for the quote now but as the story goes, in his words, he was returning home from evangelistic meetings and fell off his horse injuring himself bad enough to be laid up in bed for months. As he recovered he spent his days and nights reading the Bible and found that when he made a distinction between the church and Israel the Bible, to him, became easy to understand. Like an epiphany. He started to apply this method to his studies that resulted in Dispensationalism but I'm not sure he was dogmatic on the timing of the rapture...

I read the above in a book written by a Plymouth Brethren on the history of the Gospel Hall churches but I can't find my notes right now. I'll continue to look.

Another story from the work (from memory) JND owned one suit that was worn through. His friends offered to buy him another but he refused. Finally his friends chipped in and bought him another black suit and he said nothing about it, simply woke up the next day and put it on, almost as if he didn't notice it was a different suit. A famous quote (not from memory), "Christ preferred the poor; ever since I have been converted so have I."

When reading JND his style reminds me of William Huntington, they both seem to jump all over the place and meander through subject without getting to point. I own some of JND's writings but haven't read them in years.

c_24.jpg

jm

One scholarly paper on the subject (though I cannot speak for or against the authors's work):

http://www.etsjets.org/files/JETS-PD...am-Gribben.pdf

I haven't read the paper but I can vouch for one of the authors - Crawford Gribben - he is an excellent brother. I have previously heard that it all came to shape at the Powerscourt conferences (attended by the likes of Alexander Irvine) in Ireland. I believe there is no record of the content of those meetings.

Some quick thoughts from someone who knows a bit about dispensationalism but not too much about Darby the man. But in light of the Gribben article that was linked, it appears that the scholars don't know that much about him either in light of the influence of his most distinctive teaching.

1. The Plymouth Brethren initially were Anglican men, including clergy, who gathered together for fellowship, worship, etc. outside of the C of E, which they saw as well nigh apostate. My guess is that Darby's view that the C of E (and the visible church in general) was basically apostate played a role. The Brethren as well as dispensationalism generally have a strong emphasis on the universal church being the "true" church. At its worst it can lead to a lack of emphasis on the local church or denomination. Someone who thinks the visible church is practically apostate isn't going to be likely to see kingdom promises fulfilled in the church. (A.W. Pink is perhaps an exception--Iain Murray says that even after rejecting dispensationalism, he never seemed to get beyond his view that the churches were nearly all apostate, which in part explains his isolation in the last phase of his life.)

2. Dispensations are an attempt to explain the unfolding of progressive revelation. Writers had come up with various "dispensational" schemes for centuries, going back to the Church Fathers. In a sense, it's relatively harmless and some of it appears to be self-evident as many of the dispensations are related to biblical covenants. However, it was dispensationalism which came up with a system of dispensations that constitute an interpretive grid or key to rightly dividing the Scriptures. Especially in the earlier stages of the development of dispensationalism, the emphasis on dispensations (i.e. different "economies") led to strained interpretations that have caused confusion with regard to how the OT saints were saved, among other things.

3. With regard to pre-trib, the idea or presupposition is that Israel and the church are totally separate and that God has to "get the church out of the way" in order to go back to dealing with national Israel. Some dispensational statements of faith actually use the terminology "get the church out of the way" or something similar. (Most dispensationalists who are reasonably well read will admit that pre-trib has no direct support in the scriptures and is an inference based upon several considerations.) With regard to the pre-trib teaching itself, many have charged that it originated with the charismania that characterized Edward Irving's ministry. Specifically, Margaret McDonald has been cited as the source, particularly in the bombastic and sensationalistic writings of Dave McPherson. My understanding is that S.P. Tregelles referred to a prophetic utterance among the Irvingites being the source but does not name McDonald specifically. (Tregelles was Darby's contemporary and also one of the "Brethren" who rejected pre-trib although he was nevertheless an ardent premillennialist.) Some writers (some pre-trib and some not) have argued that there is at best little evidence that Darby was influenced by McDonald.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back