Where are the good colleges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoldierOfTheRock

Puritan Board Freshman
Ok, I am now graduating High School and am signed up for my fist year of college at Cedarville University. I think I may find that I disagree with their theology.

Where are the reformed colleges? Are there any close to Ohio?

Also, If I really like to read the bible and study theology, but do not feel as though I should be a pastor or anything like that, what should I major in? --History? Philosophy?:puzzled:

[quote:3ee4085ce6][i:3ee4085ce6]Originally posted by SoldierOfTheRock[/i:3ee4085ce6]
Ok, I am now graduating High School and am signed up for my fist year of college at Cedarville University. I think I may find that I disagree with their theology.

Where are the reformed colleges? Are there any close to Ohio?

Also, If I really like to read the bible and study theology, but do not feel as though I should be a pastor or anything like that, what should I major in? --History? Philosophy?:puzzled: [/quote:3ee4085ce6]

Grove City College outside Pittsburgh is an excellent school.

My brother graduated from Cedarville. He is very Reformed, too. Does he agree with the theology? No. But the education there is quite good. I think he found a solid church when there, too. If you do go, I'll be sure to find out what the name of the church is so you have a good place to try out.

Cedarville has had a lot of good preachers visit. James Boice had been a visitor, same with John MacArthur.

Have you decided on your major yet?

Craig, It would be wonderful if you could get the name of that church from him.

No I haven't figured out my major yet, but I am still looking.

Thanks in advance,
Joshua

Joshua, two well-trusted and esteemed evangelical schools are Wheaton College (IL) and Westmont College (CA). Personally, I chose to go to a secular college this coming fall (Rhodes in Memphis), since I'll most likely be going to seminary, and wanted a diverse undergraduate experience. But if you're looking for a Christian college, those two are probably some of your best bets.

In Christ,

Chris

Hi, I am new here, but I will be going to Clearwater Christian College in the fall, and majoring in Pastoral Studies. It is not completely Reformed or anything. It was started (as I understand) jointly by men from the Bible Presbyterian Church and some independent Baptist Churches. There is sympathy there, though, as the head of the Bible department told me, with Reformed thinking. It is at least worth taking a look at.

Joel

In my completely unbiased, objective opinion :yes:, my alma mater, Union University, is an excellent school. It is SBC, but is friendly to reformed thinking. There are several Reformed Baptists on faculty in the Christian Studies department. I cannot speak for the rest of the school, however (I took only one class outside of the Christian Studies department).

Lon

What about Calvin in Grand Rapids? My wife went to Westmont (So did Greg Bahnsen...) For what it's worth, I found it to be very pricey for what you get.

Majors? Go for philosophy major and history minor. I actually got a chemistry major with a biology minor and wish that I could do my bachelors all over again.

Why go to a Christian university? Well, depending on what you're majoring in, they're better all around. Some aren't worth the cost, but many are truly better schools.

Taylor
Wheaton
Calvin

These are all good academic schools in the Midwest (since I live in the midwest, I'm familiar with what's here).

Calvin is good academically...not really a Reformed school...Taylor has profs that are Calvinistic, same with Wheaton... but I think if I could choose, I'd choose Wheaton over both.

I went to Calvin for one year back in the 1970s. It was not Reformed then and has went downhill from there. Calvin College is infected by evolutionists, Barthians, and worse. Great for an academic challenge. Horrible spiritually.

Hope College is not much better.

Dordt is generally Reformed but expensive.

The same could be said for Geneva.

If you are thinking of being a school teacher you might consider Covenant Canadian Reformed Teachers College in Hamilton Ontario..

Reformed College In Southern California

Hi all,

I just want to throw my two cents in on the issue of reformed Christian colleges. Providence Christian College is a brand new, confessionally reformed, four year liberal arts college located in Ontario, CA. Providence is a couple of thousand dollars cheaper then Dordt even though it is located in one of the highest cost of living areas in the United States! PCC is also a whole heck of a lot more affordable then Westmont and is also completely reformed unlike the "semi-reformed" nature of Westmont (if you count a handful of reformed faculty members as "semi-reformed").
Okay, enough shameless plugging of my college :)

Check out our site at www.providencechristiancollege.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back