When do men violate the 2nd commandment (Voetius)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
"Whenever one wills to honour and serve (God) by means of images, or whenever one wills to worship him in such a manner as directly conflicts with God’s word or that is apart from God’s word, founded on the institutions of man, or on our own whims and fancies, as takes place under that of the papacy by means of its ceremonies and human traditions."

Catechisatie over den Heidelbergschen Catechismus : naar Poudroyen's editie van 1662 op nieuw uitgegeven, bij ons publiek ingeleid, en met enkele aanteekeningen voorzien (1641; Rotterdam: Gebroeders Huge, 1891). No idea the page number; why has so little of Voetius been translated? The above comes from here.

Edit: Given the pagination, it appears to come from the second volume of Abraham Kuyper's edition of the commentary (available on archive.org). I have no knowledge of Dutch, but, at a guess, the quote appears to come from the bottom of page 783.

In case the Puritan Board ever crashes and all the material is lost, I have made a blog post out of the above extract. All joking aside, anything translated by Voetius needs to be backed up in case it is ever lost.

Edit: Given the pagination, it appears to come from the second volume of Abraham Kuyper's edition of the commentary (available on archive.org). I have no knowledge of Dutch, but, at a guess, the quote appears to come from the bottom of page 783.
This is correct.

As a side note, I have had his catechism saved for a while and hope to one day translate and have it published. The catechism is not that large though, about 600 pages and the link provided starts for some reason at page 625. I am now curious as to what else is in the Kuiper volume....

Edit: For those of you interested, this is the original “Catechism Against the Catechism of the Remonstrants”
https://books.google.com/books?id=cy-0EpSun0QC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited:
"Whenever one wills to honour and serve (God) by means of images, or whenever one wills to worship him in such a manner as directly conflicts with God’s word or that is apart from God’s word, founded on the institutions of man, or on our own whims and fancies, as takes place under that of the papacy by means of its ceremonies and human traditions."

Catechisatie over den Heidelbergschen Catechismus : naar Poudroyen's editie van 1662 op nieuw uitgegeven, bij ons publiek ingeleid, en met enkele aanteekeningen voorzien (1641; Rotterdam: Gebroeders Huge, 1891). No idea the page number; why has so little of Voetius been translated? The above comes from here.

One of the great tragedies of our day is that Voetius remains locked away from so many. I have become quite enthralled by Voetius these past few months while researching and writing on his life. I have been in discussions with individuals in my network about translating him. I know of at least two high caliber Latinists that are very much interested. This has become a mission that I won't easily give up.

One of the great tragedies of our day is that Voetius remains locked away from so many. I have become quite enthralled by Voetius these past few months while researching and writing on his life. I have been in discussions with individuals in my network about translating him. I know of at least two high caliber Latinists that are very much interested. This has become a mission that I won't easily give up.
If this is not something for RHB I would love to do something like this in the NPSE large volume formate series.

For what it's worth, as historically and theologically important as Voetius is, his work tends to read in a cold and scholastic manner compared to his contemporaries. For example, in the Voetius-Hoornbeek disputation "on spiritual desertion", Voetius gives a set of scholastic theses on the topic of spiritual desertion, while Hoornbeek gives a warm and pastoral discussion of comforting those experiencing spiritual desertion. I would certainly like more of Voetius to be translated, but more of Hoornbeek or other of his Utrecht disciples would probably actually be more helpful in promoting reformed piety.

For what it's worth, as historically and theologically important as Voetius is, his work tends to read in a cold and scholastic manner compared to his contemporaries. For example, in the Voetius-Hoornbeek disputation "on spiritual desertion", Voetius gives a set of scholastic theses on the topic of spiritual desertion, while Hoornbeek gives a warm and pastoral discussion of comforting those experiencing spiritual desertion. I would certainly like more of Voetius to be translated, but more of Hoornbeek or other of his Utrecht disciples would probably actually be more helpful in promoting reformed piety.
Have you read anything by Voetius outside of his treatise on spiritual desertion?

I have looked into Hoorenbeek before and sadly there is not much in Dutch, only one title on the usefulness of catechisms, the rest is all in Latin and greatly ignored like Voetius.
With everything that I would like to translate from Dutch that one is not close to the top. Next to the Voetius catechism I would love to do a book on the history of the Sabbath by Jacobus Koelman, sermons by Brakel and others.... the list goes on and on.
https://archive.org/details/ned-kbn-all-00009463-001/page/n13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back