What's the biography of J. Edwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyCalvinist

Puritan Board Junior
Hey,
I can only afford one book and I want a biography of Jonathan Edwards, and I know both Murray and Marsden have written bios of him and I was wondering which is the best one. By that, I mean readable for an educated lay-person and good insight into his theology. Suggestions?

Hey,
I can only afford one book and I want a biography of Jonathan Edwards, and I know both Murray and Marsden have written bios of him and I was wondering which is the best one. By that, I mean readable for an educated lay-person and good insight into his theology. Suggestions?

Murray has deeper sympathies with the full range of Edwards' theology than does Marsden.

I would go with Murray over Marsden on Edwards. However, I would read Murray, "Revival and Revivalism," before anything else by him. I have read them both and both are worth the time investment.

I read both bios and loved both. Yes, Murray is better for theology but Marsden is a longer and more complete picture of the time period and all the events. I think if you must pick only one I'd go with Murray but its a tough choice.

As far as Long Island's suggestion of Revival and Revivalism, I think I'd make that my first pick over either bio. It is so applicable to the church today (evangelicalism is basically Finney in many ways) and incorporates much of Edward's theology in the analysis.

Why not go straight to the top with Religious Affections? Just skip 1 & 2 and start with Section 3. Edwards is easier to read than he's made out to be, and so tender. I think you'd love it.

Our church library has all these books. Maybe a local pastor would allow you to borrow?

I have read both Marsden and Murray. I appreciated Marsden's bio better. He discussed a lot more of the culture and outworking of Edward's theology in my opinion. He was also very sympathetic to Edwards while also having a better critique in my estimation.

I Loved Murray's book,He seemes to to a great Job on Biographies,(His Bio. of A.W Pink is wonderful!),I'm sorry I have not read Marsden's

There was a Conference called "A God Entranced Vision of All Things" based on Edwards's life and was from on the Book of the same name By John Piper,I highly recommend this book after the biographies if you decide to go deeper and if funds allow,I believe this book is available free to read at the Desiring God website,I am including the link to watch video of all the conf. messages,Included in the speakers is Murray,Sam Storms,Piper,and others I loved watching them and highly recommend them

Grace and Peace
2003 National Conference :: Desiring God Christian Resource Library

I would go with Marsden over Murray. Murray's biography will bring you up to speed on Edwards, there is no doubt, and should also challenge and encourage you; but I thought Marsden did a better job at setting Edwards in context and giving more thorough explanations of some of the critical points in Edwards' thinking and life.

I realize this post is kinda late... but I read Murray's bio on Edwards and I totally loved it. I can't say anything about the other book, though.

I'm just wondering, which book did you choose? And what are your thoughts on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back