What/who have you read?

Where do you fit in here?

• I'm a Van Tillian who hasn't read Clark.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I'm a Clarkian who hasn't read Van Till.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I'm a Van Tillian who has read both Van Til and Clark.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I'm a Clarkian who has read both Clark and Van Til.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kalawine

Puritan Board Junior
Having been introduced to Presuppositional Apologetics by Dr. Gordon Clark (thanks to Dr. Bob Morey) I have noticed (since being a member of the Puritan Board) quite a bias toward anything/anyone Clarkian. I know that Robbins could sometimes come on like sandpaper but Robbins aside... I want to know... How many of you (Van Tillian or Clarkian) have actually read anything from the "other side."
I have spent some time recently listening to old MP3's of Van Til and to be honest, I see where they (Clark and Van Til) were both really in battle with the liberals of their day. Before he died, Dr. Ronald Nash (a Clark leaning, yet not dogmatic theologian/philosopher) said that he could imagine both of them in heaven right now hugging and apologizing and making amends. Then he says, "But then Clark would smile and say, "But I was right!" :lol:

Rev. Bruce wrote:

I have to agree with Davidus in this respect:

It it pointless to just toss out an "I think Clark was unconfessional" blast, which ends up just sounding like a person bias instead of a reasoned and thoughtful reply to a perceived error.

I'm just left wondering, Ken, if you have read and studied Clark out on the topic, and come to this conclusion, or if that comment is simply fueled by reading some partisan on the VT side, whose opinion you value and respect?

I'm more more VT (I think), but I don't think that labeling helps anyone come to an informed opinion. So few of us can carry on discussion of the subject at that level anyway. Give people something to read, not a mere put-down.

I can appreciate both and follow neither.

Same here. I almost would vote that I was a Dabneyan who has read a lot of Clark and Van Til.

Yes; Dabney's common sense approach stands just about in the middle of the two systems, denying contradiction while acknowleding human limitation.

I need to check him out. I've read a lot of quotes in other books/essays. But I've never read Dabney. Any books to recommend?

I need to check him out. I've read a lot of quotes in other books/essays. But I've never read Dabney. Any books to recommend?

Chris Coldwell sells Dabney's Sensualistic Philosophy; I highly recommend it. Besides shedding light on some epistemic debates of today, it also corrects some erroneous ethical notions which have come in the back door via Jonathan Edwards.

Chris Coldwell sells Dabney's Sensualistic Philosophy; I highly recommend it. Besides shedding light on some epistemic debates of today, it also corrects some erroneous ethical notions which have come in the back door via Jonathan Edwards.

Gotta check it out! Thanks AB!

I couldn't find a good choice. I've read both, and can't decide which I am, or am neither.

Yes! Schaefer's approach has served me well. Although I like VanTil and Clark, Schaefer has influenced me the most.

It's hard to imagine.

A few months ago, before Puritan Board, I would have thought Klineans, Clarkians and Van Tillians were on Star Trek!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back