What was YOUR first car????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
I like to hear people recall their first car, the car that was YOUR ride! Not the shared family "truckster" though that counts if if was given to you outright! I guess I should go first. I had a new Camaro (before anyone laughs, this was before it became a Mullet car!!!!) Red, gray interior, V8 5.0. Even in the 80's most new cars did NOT have great sterios! So, this had an Alpine (after-market) Alpine tape deck, equalizer, and some blow out your eardrums speakers!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool: OH YES! I LOVED the thing! Teenager in a fast red sports car BABY!!!!! Naw....I never got ANY tickets...cough...cough.:judge:;):popcorn: SO what was YOUR first set of wheels?

Last edited:
1938 Buick Special, Straight-8 Dynaflash. Everything original except the crankshaft and rod bearings, which I replaced.

And later I added an 8-track to it. It was a luxo land yacht.

1952 GMC 3/4 ton pickup. Straight six Loadmaster engine. I could pull a mountain down with that baby. Its name was 'General Mac'.

1977 Ford LTD+ brown station wagon

No dissimilar to this, although mine was brown with the wood panels:

1978_Ford_Country_Squire.jpg

When I first learned to drive my parents owned a Chevy Citation. I drove it 90% of the time and so it was considered "mine." When I bought my very first car, I bought another Chevy Citation. I had to sell it when I joined a Christian drama team for 2 years. When I finished my tour I bought another.. Chevy Citation.

I don't know, but I can say that the V-8 in it made it go much faster than Mr. Brady would go. :cool:

This was mine - same color scheme even.
74-78.ford.mustang.500.jpg

1977 Cobra, complete with the 5-liter 140 horse V8. I'd say it was a good thing gas was cheap then (in 1987 when I bought it) :)

1986 Jeep Cherokee with bald tires and no A/C. The engine would cut off if i turned the steering wheel too far left, but not to worry i could start it back up while still in drive.

A 1993 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer package, received it in 2000 and drove it till 2002 before the transmission pooped out; I've had a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee since 2003.

1990 Mazda B2600 4X4 . I loved it, and would still have it...if I didn't flip it 6 times and wrap it around a tree 8ft. off the ground.

VW 411 station wagon don't remember the year 60 somthing. Air cooled, no heat, no de ice. Strangely enough I miss that car. It was indestructable, I ougta know, I tried to kill it many times.

I am not sure whether to be impressed or annoyed at Todd's first car...

But I am still on my first, actually--a '94 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (manual). It's a fun ride with great gas mileage (30 mpg when I am driving faster than I should). It's only drawback--which is actually God's providence, I'm sure--is that it doesn't accelerate as fast as I'd like it to!

Flipping cars is bad. At least from what I've seen, it rarely turns out well.

The first car I bought, worked on and wish I still had was a '71 El Camino with 350, HD 3 speed auto, limited slip. We put a shift kit in the tranny and a mild cam in the engine, along with tri-ys and electronic ignition. The back window had "El Camino" sandblasted across the top and Pam got my seats reupholstered. The exhaust had regular turbo mufflers and the wheels were stock, with 14" rims (it wasn't a SS). For some reason it came bored 10 over from the factory. It was a sleeper, and I had lic plates that said, "POSSUM."
71%20El%20Camino%20%231.JPG

It looked a lot like this one.

1972 Chevy Vega Hatchback. The body was rusted around the windshield and the dashboard got wet in a few places when it rained!

Fascinating thread. I am learning a lot about some of you by your cars. I'll leave it at that.

Datsun B210, fast back with louvers. This one doesn't h ave louvers, and mine was white.
blufstbak.jpg

I had one of those! it was my fourth car, green with the louvres. Kewl (that is the proper spelling. So there.)

My first car was a 1948 Desoto. It was green, suicide 4door with a fluid drive. Fluid drive was interesting- it had a torque converter, but they didn't yet know exactly what to do with it.

I found the car in a basement of an old garage in Long Beach, CA. It was brought in for service for it's 500 mile check-up back in '49... and never picked back up. It was absolutely in original factory mint condition, down to the tires! There's a picture of me standing beside that car perched next to the TV in the front room. Perhaps I can scan it sometime and post a photo.

Theognome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back