What type do you prefer? Verse or Paragraph format?

Discussion in 'Translations and Manuscripts' started by tellville, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Verse Format

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Paragraph Format

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tellville

tellville Puritan Board Junior

Another Bible style poll! What do you prefer in your main study/reading Bible? Verse format (new line for every verse) or Paragraph format?

2. raekwon

raekwon Puritan Board Junior

I find verse style pretty much unreadable.

3. Southern Presbyterian

Southern Presbyterian Moderator Staff Member

Where is the "Both" option? :)

Seriously though, I prefer "Verse" for locating and following along in the passage, but always consult a "Paragraph" formatted text when studying as it helps me with context. :2cents:

4. tellville

tellville Puritan Board Junior

I thought about putting a both, but then that doesn't really tell me anything. Basically, I am trying to see what your TRUE preference is by making you choose one :)

5. Grymir

Grymir Puritan Board Graduate

Verse format! Even my beloved Cambridge "paragraph" (1st) is in verse format. Geneva too!

6. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

I like Paragraph because it helps aid in both reading and comprehension for me.

7. jambo

jambo Puritan Board Senior

I am not averse to a verse version

8. Jimmy the Greek

Jimmy the Greek Puritan Board Senior

I began on verse version and now am so used to it, I shy away from paragraph versions. The paragraph breaks are still identified. Hmmm. Btw, are they inspired?

9. toddpedlar

toddpedlar Iron Dramatist Staff Member

no more than the verse numbers are...

10. yeutter

yeutter Puritan Board Junior

Both the verse and the paragraph structure are constructs imposed on the text. I prefer to read the Bible verse by verse. It slows me down and encourages me to meditate on each verse.

11. Southern Presbyterian

Southern Presbyterian Moderator Staff Member

In that case, I chose the "Verse" option.

12. Jimmy the Greek

Jimmy the Greek Puritan Board Senior

The reason I asked is that I seem to remember seeing photocopies of Greek manuscripts with obvious paragraph breaks. I didn't know whether this was in the same category as the verse numbering.

13. Kenneth_Murphy

Kenneth_Murphy Puritan Board Freshman

I don't have much first hand experience with this, so I'd like to hear what others have to say, but I've read that some like to "read aloud" the verse format best as its quicker to find your place on the page and there is often extra white space between lines making it easier to keep your place while reading as well.

14. moral necessity

moral necessity Puritan Board Junior

I like the paragraph form. It helps me to better read the verses within their surrounding contexts.

Blessings!

15. Presbyterian Deacon

Presbyterian Deacon Puritan Board Graduate

Verse format for me.

16. APuritansMind

APuritansMind Puritan Board Junior

I prefer the verse format.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.