Votes: 16 20.5%
  • 11:00

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Later than 11:00

Votes: 5 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually attend the 9:30 service, with Sunday School at 11:00.

Yesterday, however, I needed to attend all three services (8, 9:30 and 11), although I was only there for half of the last one.

That's ok, I have trouble trying to understand things too. :lol:

[
I am not familiar with any churches in the UK that have an adult Sunday School, but it's fairly common here.

This died out in the 80s. Sunday School is always for children and years ago the Sunday School met before the morning service. Parents of the children (and indeed anyone who wished to attend) would then meet for what was called an "all age" class. With the decline of non-church children attending Sunday school, most churches then moved the Sunday School (for primary aged children) to run at the same time as the morning service. I too am not aware of any church that has adult classes that go on on a Sunday. (although there are some churches, but very few, have an informal gathering after the evening service in someones house where they discuss the practical application sermon or possibly some other topic)

I wonder if the 11 a.m. start time was more of a rural consideration, to get works of necessity done beforehand? That's what has always seemed like a normal time to me, although I was a member for a few years at a church (in an urban area) that flipped everything and started with worship at 8:30 or so.

I wonder if the 11 a.m. start time was more of a rural consideration, to get works of necessity done beforehand? That's what has always seemed like a normal time to me, although I was a member for a few years at a church (in an urban area) that flipped everything and started with worship at 8:30 or so.

I have found that in rural areas services are that wee bit later. Even 11.30am or 12 noon. When I lived in the Highlands the evening service was at 8.30pm. Then whilst in the Irish Republic two churches I was involved with met for the evening service at 8.30pm and the other at 9pm

9:30-10:30 SS
11:00-12:20ish- AM
6:00-7:20ish PM

I'm thankful to be part of a church that has evening services (the fact that my previous church didn't have one every Lord's Day evening is what allowed me to visit my current church in the first place). It truly does give the Lord's Day a good frame- morning and evening sacrifices of praise and thanksgiving!

The chapel I attend has 2 services. 0900 and 1100. I usher at first service and worship second. The Lutheran service on post meets at 0800.

We begin worship at 9:00 which means set up begins at 8:00 which means leave the house at 7:45 which means all children (including babies) must be dressed by 7:30 which means Dad must be dressed by 7:00 which means coffee time must be over by 6:45 which means sermon rehearsal must begin by 5:30 AM.

Boy do I envy you 11:00ers.

We have services at 8:30 am and 11:15 am with 10:00 am Sunday school inbetween. We have another congregation that meets at 5:00 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back