What Scripture Are You Reading Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hebrews with the kids, 1 Timothy with my wife, Acts in my own devotions, John in the sermon and singing Psalm 128 with the family on the way to church. :)

Hebrews with the kids, 1 Timothy with my wife, Acts in my own devotions, John in the sermon and singing Psalm 128 with the family on the way to church. :)

I just noticed your in Gettysburg. So is it true that there are weird spiritual things that happen there in reference to the war? Just a silly curious question.

For November 19 the M'Cheyne 1 year plan specifies 1 Chronicles 13-14, and James 1 for the morning. For the evening reading Amos 8 and Luke 3, Additionally the commentary for November 19 in D.A. Carson's 'For The Love of God', one of the morning chapters is commented on in volume 1, and another chapter from the evening reading in volume 2.

I just noticed your in Gettysburg. So is it true that there are weird spiritual things that happen there in reference to the war? Just a silly curious question.

Haha, some people think so. ;) The "ghost tour" business is booming. People pay to follow around someone wearing historical clothes with a lantern at night and they tell ghost stories. As kids, we would sneak up to some of the groups, listen and chuckle to ourselves.

I go to church in Gettysburg and work at the college three days a week, but fortunately I live in the next town over. Much more laid back without silly ghost tours. :)

Numbers 13-14

Wow! I have started writing on these chapters. I call Num. 13:1 the Great Commision of the Old Testament. Which turned out to be a complete failure of Israel to believe/obey the Lord. I then compare this story with the New Testament's Greater Commision (Matt. 28:18-20) and the danger we are in of a similar failure. As I like to say, "the ratio is always around two out of ten" believers that see any real hope of the Church fulfilling the commission of King Jesus.

The paper begins with this verse:

Numbers 14:21
But as truly as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the Lord.

If you read this verse in context, you might think it a bit odd that I chose this passage for a positive message about the future of the Kingdom of God on earth. This verse was spoken during the most severe judgment the Lord ever brought upon unfaithful Israel. The Lord condemned over 600,000 men to death in the wilderness.

Last edited:
Wow Ed! No joke here! I taught on it this past Sunday and compared it to The Great Commission as well.

Wow Ed! No joke here! I taught on it this past Sunday and compared it to The Great Commission as well.

So maybe I'm not losing my mind in my old age. I have never counted, but from Abraham through Numbers 13:2, the Lord must have promised the Promised Land well over 20 times. And still, they didn't believe it. Notice what the Lord did to the ten spies. He killed them on the spot with no time to think about what they had done. I think we need to be very careful what we teach.

Absolutely! I think a big problem at least that I have ran into is that people don't pay strong attention to the Old Testament. I had one guy at Boyce tell me we can't get our theology from the Old Testament. I was devastated.

For November 19 the M'Cheyne 1 year plan specifies 1 Chronicles 13-14, and James 1 for the morning. For the evening reading Amos 8 and Luke 3, Additionally the commentary for November 19 in D.A. Carson's 'For The Love of God', one of the morning chapters is commented on in volume 1, and another chapter from the evening reading in volume 2.
I love this reading plan and may get the commentary you suggest. I am on my second year and would ask if this commentary is significant and accurate. I find that I get quite weary of having to discern another's theology.

I love this reading plan and may get the commentary you suggest. I am on my second year and would ask if this commentary is significant and accurate. I find that I get quite weary of having to discern another's theology.
I would say you can't go wrong with the commentary mentioned. I think D.A. Carson is one of the leading Bible exegetes in the world today, or in past days. Just In my humble opinion.

I was going to be in 2 Corinthians, but I put a teabag in a cup of hot water and took a look at PB while it steeped. So I ended up reading Num 13 and 14. And 15. And thinking about how much I struggle to look at the promises of God instead of the downward plunge of the world today. Thanks for the exhortation and encouragement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back