What Question Do You Ponder Most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arch2k

Puritan Board Graduate
Many years ago I heard a story about a famous theologian named Karl Barth, who had a tremendous grasp of the Scriptures. He had studied many years, and was a sought after speaker. One day, someone asked him what the greatest theological discovery he had made during his life. He thought for some time and finally stated,

"Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so!"

We may have certain theological problems with Barth, but with this answer touches on one of my most pondered questions about God.

How can he love me?

I know it is only because of Christ, but why me, and not another? Sure, in theology we can say cause it was his good pleasure to do so, but why me???

I'm not looking for an answer, but reflecting on this helps me appreciate the great gift of grace I have been given in Christ.

What great questions about God do you mediate on?

yeah... Why Me?
Has to be the biggie of all the questions.

Reminds me of the Kristofferson song:

Why me Lord,
what have I ever done
To deserve even one Of the pleasures I've known
Tell me Lord, what did I ever do That was worth loving you
Or the kindness you've shown.

Lord help me Jesus, I've wasted it so
Help me Jesus I know what I am
Now that I know that I've need you so Help me Jesus,
my soul's in your hand.

Tell me Lord, if you think there's a way I can try to repay
All I've taken from you
Maybe Lord, I can show someone else What I've been through myself
On my way back to you.

Lord help me Jesus, I've wasted it so
Help me Jesus I know what I am
Now that I know that I've need you so
Help me Jesus, my soul's in your hand.

"What is truth?" (John 8:38)

;)

Yeah, yours will do, Jeff.

[Edited on 10-21-2005 by Laura]

Certainly why me is a good/difficult question...but the one that constantly dogs me is:

What is my purpose/vocation here on earth??????????????????????????????????????

I would say more so then the vague "WHY?" is why does man even christian man still fight for sovergnty till the very end? God is in complete control. He has created all things. Everything has its purpose. His redemptive purpose is being fulfilled.

So why do I a man made in the image of my creator still wrestle with my creator over control of my life through a so called "free will"?

Ive come to accept that I will freely serve the Lord in whatever capacity he so chooses to have me glorify him whether it be in heaven or hell and that now though I know HE is in control I will Pray for mercy to be allowed to seek a life of glorifying HIM by seeking after HIM. Lord Willing.

In Christ,
Blade

It would be difficult for Barth to understand HOW Jesus loves us, let alone why...

I've often pondered the fact that I'm me, with all my unique thoughts and feelings and perspectives, chosen by God to be born, to live, to be redeemed. No one else will ever be me, and I will never be anyone else. Not now, not for eternity. To top it off, the ultimate reason for my life is to glorify God and share in the surpassing greatness and glory of Christ.

Wow!

In a somewhat similar vein as "Why does God love me?" is the question that was posed by one of my brothers a few months ago:

"Do you feel that God LIKES you? We all know that God LOVES us, but for you individually, do you think God LIKES you?"

In fact, I would love to see what some of the answers to this are since I've wrestled with that question ever since I heard it, so I'm going to post a thread topic with it to get responses without distracting from this thread.

Are you hungry and weary? Christ offers himself to those, therefore you are Christ's.

Another assurance might be found algebraically:

faith = justification + sanctification. if you can see sanctification in yourself you may reason that you have faith + justificaiton.

It is the same question for me because I am the only Christian in my family. So, I ponder the question "Why me" alot.

"But by God's grace I am what I am...." 1 Cor 15:10

Hmmm...

I guess that'd have to be:

Why do twinkie's never spoil?

Why can't we have three really,really excellent homeschool days in a row?

and ditto Joshua's question,, 'why me' or in my case, 'why me and not them, or 'not them too?'' as I have many family members of the Jewish faith that are "really nice people" and of course, not believers. <sigh>

The answer is obviously God's providence, He works all things for His good and His glory, this is the outworking of God's plan since time began.. etc, etc.. but it occasionally gnaws at me...

Originally posted by bradofshaw
I've often pondered the fact that I'm me, with all my unique thoughts and feelings and perspectives, chosen by God to be born, to live, to be redeemed. No one else will ever be me, and I will never be anyone else. Not now, not for eternity. To top it off, the ultimate reason for my life is to glorify God and share in the surpassing greatness and glory of Christ.

Wow!

That's been on my mind too, since childhood. But it happened one day that a couple of JW's came to the door on a Sunday, and Dad handled them with decisive and firm, yet respectful dignity, firm in the knowledge of God. It struck me to think, "If they were both born in their theologies, how can one know one is right and the other wrong? How can one know if his own is wrong?" There had to be a way to get beyond what you're born believing in, depending upon your parental or cultural background. It wasn't just my own individuality, but the fact that something existed beyond that under which I was to be ruled in my beliefs. I could not imagine, after that, a religion dependent upon me in any way.

In one word? Certainty! If God's Word is true, how can I know what He says to me with certainty. I am a person, and God is a person; He's saying things to me, and I need to know what He's saying, not what I think He's saying. Certainty!

Originally posted by BaptistInCrisis
If a politician tells the truth in the forest, does it make a noise?

I think you meant to say:

If a politician tells the truth in the forest, is it still a lie? :bigsmile:

Originally posted by gwine
Originally posted by BaptistInCrisis
If a politician tells the truth in the forest, does it make a noise?

I think you meant to say:

If a politician tells the truth in the forest, is it still a lie? :bigsmile:

That too! ;)

C'mon guys, that's no mystery. A politician doesn't speak unless he has nothing to say. And that's all it is, noise. The only difference is, it sells. That is, its buys votes.

Originally posted by ChristopherPaul
Why do males have nipples?

Things that make you go, Hmmm.?

How do fuzz bunnies actually form? Why do they like congregating?

Why do your "drawers" ride up against gravity?

Who was the first guy to eat the mushroom from a cow patty?

Originally posted by joshua
And these questions are asked within the context of a daily devotional thread? :D

Josh - what is in that pipe you are smoking. Has me wondering.... :um:

;)

Happy20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back