What Psalm (of the 150) do you enjoy singing the most and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Scottish Psalter of 1650

Psalm 84 to Wetherby
Psalm 130 to Martyrdom
Psalm 25:1-7 to Franconia
Psalm 117 to Praetorius
Psalm 134 to Pentatone
Psalm 6 to Finnart
Psalm 16 to Kilmarnock
Psalm 32 to St. David
Psalm 28 to Morven
Psalm 56:9-13 to Gräfenberg
Psalm 67 to Selma
Psalm 23 to Bays of Harris
Psalm 100 to Old Hundredth
Psalm 103 to London New
Psalm 121 to French
Psalm 124 to Old 124th
Psalm 5 to Contemplation
Psalm 40:1-5 to Ballerma
Psalm 8 to Winchester Old
Psalm 139:1-6 to St. Andrew
Psalm 150 to Irish

I was trying to remember which Psalm that was today! It’s particularly winsome for kids.

Every night I sing Psalm 131 with my (almost) four-year-old before bed. It's short and sweet and I wrote a simple melody to it. Many times after singing it she says, "Daddy, I know all the words!" :)

Every night I sing Psalm 131 with my (almost) four-year-old before bed. It's short and sweet and I wrote a simple melody to it. Many times after singing it she says, "Daddy, I know all the words!" :)
There is nothing quite like hearing my son's voice singing the psalms. He's now three, and has parts of Psalms 67, 139, 23 and 117 memorized, and when he doesn't know the words he happily hums the tune along with our singing. Sometimes I'm brought to tears by this blessing.

There is nothing quite like hearing my son's voice singing the psalms. He's now three, and has parts of Psalms 67, 139, 23 and 117 memorized, and when he doesn't know the words he happily hums the tune along with our singing. Sometimes I'm brought to tears by this blessing.
Perhaps this was part of the genius of Calvin’s introducing the congregation to the Psalms by teaching them to the children first.

@Tom Hart , I guess you’re familiar with the Independent Reformed Church of Korea? I just happened to see where they’ve participated in the past with the RPCNA Japan presbytery.

@Tom Hart , I guess you’re familiar with the Independent Reformed Church of Korea? I just happened to see where they’ve participated in the past with the RPCNA Japan presbytery.
I've only heard of it. I've done some research on Reformed denominations in South Korea. The one you mention is small (8 congregations, 600 members) and, unless I'm mistaken, all the congregations are in the area around Seoul (Gyeonggi Province). I'll ask my wife to do a little more research.

As has been stated, they all are favorites. :) I keep returning to the 1650 Psalter as my favorite. Our denomination uses the blue Book of Psalms for Worship, but the previous RPCNA version (the red Psalter) is my favorite of the two. I wish we all used the Genevan because of the melodies, they’re the best.
This Afternoon I went looking again for more info on where to find both psalter and music. The red psalter didn’t match the psalms on the YouTube videos. I finally figured out that the blue one is the current one, so I guess I can’t use the red one now. But on the C&C website I decided to order the new one as well as some singing downloads. I’m really excited! I can’t think of a more fulfilling way to spend my Sunday afternoons. I also discovered the Geneva Psalter which is fantastic. The Canadian Reformed Church apparently still uses it, although with instruments. On another note, two babies baptized into the Covenant community this morning. Woo Hoo!

This Afternoon I went looking again for more info on where to find both psalter and music. The red psalter didn’t match the psalms on the YouTube videos. I finally figured out that the blue one is the current one, so I guess I can’t use the red one now. But on the C&C website I decided to order the new one as well as some singing downloads. I’m really excited! I can’t think of a more fulfilling way to spend my Sunday afternoons. I also discovered the Geneva Psalter which is fantastic. The Canadian Reformed Church apparently still uses it, although with instruments. On another note, two babies baptized into the Covenant community this morning. Woo Hoo!
Did ever I answer your post about finding sung recordings- was that on another thread? I know I at least started typing one but may not have hit reply.

But yes, the blue Psalter is the current one. Digital tunes for both the red and blue psalters can be found at Psalter.org. And that is exciting! Yay for you :)! And a great blessing to have had those baptisms.

I like it, and am going to steal your idea (besides the original melody!).

Nice thread. I was looking the the 1650 Psalter and the Book Of Psalms For Worship trying to figure out which psalms to learn and sing. Timely.

Well my 2yr. old says her favorite of the Psalms is 93A - The Lord Is Crowned as King; to the tune of RIALTO. From The Book of Psalms for Worship.
BBC7EC7E-3DDC-4B5F-96DE-B2ABDCBCE285.jpeg

I asked her why, as to make sure she fully answered the OP. She said "Cause I want it". Good thing this is a devotional thread:detective:

Last edited:
I am fairly new to Psalm singing but I find myself going to Psalm 32 in the Trinity Psalter pretty often.

Every Sabbath on our way to worship, my son and I like to sing Psalm 122 in the Scottish Metrical Version to the tune "Free Church". I really like that that has become a weekly tradition and we know it by heart.

https://soundcloud.com/connorq/psalm-122-tune-free-church-smv

Psalm 90 (SMV to St. Anne) has also been a long-time favorite. There is something about that Psalm and the experience of Moses that has gripped me. Some day perhaps I will do an in-depth study of it.

Psalm 46 (SMV to Stroudwater) rounds off the top three list.

And though I cannot sing it so well myself, I love this rendition of Psalm 6 by our Canadian Reformed brethren on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back