What Languages do you Know?

Discussion in 'Languages' started by Hamalas, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZackF

ZackF Puritan Board Graduate

Sending you a PM... :)

2. ZackF

ZackF Puritan Board Graduate

I have great admiration for anyone studying a language to proficiency especially those here that have a good knowledge of Arabic or/and Hebrew....totally difference script from what we are used to with hardly any cognates.

On another note, has anyone here taken a CEFR exam? If so, which one and do you have any recommendation for preparing to take one?

3. SolaScriptura

SolaScriptura Puritan Board Doctor

I'm getting a kick out of this thread. You guys are funny.

4. RPEphesian

RPEphesian Puritan Board Junior

Languages I Know
    English: Comes naturally
    Spanish: Four years, passed out of two classes in college
    Greek: Self-studied, still self-studying here and there, some limited fluency
    Latin: Self-studied, some knowledge, not proficient
    Kayah Li: East Asian language spoken by 350,000 people in the world, could write, pronounce (with a thick American accent), and put together very simple sentences
    Hebrew: Self-studied, uphill and shlow-mo

Languages I want to learn
    German
    French
    Dutch
    Japanese
    Chinese
    Gaelic

5. reaganmarsh

reaganmarsh Puritan Board Senior

English (proficient; English major & former English teacher)
    Spanish (rusty; Spanish minor, but haven't used it for a few years)
    Biblical Greek (competent; 3 classes in seminary, audited a 4th)
    Some very limited Latin & German (mostly theological terms I've picked up here & there)

Up next: Hebrew. Whether through seminary or self-study remains yet to be seen. I must say, our laymen here on the PB are putting me to shame! Way to go, y'all.

6. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator Staff Member

Yes NZ English is the purist form of English :p

7. Stephen L Smith

Delete the English bit. Australians do not speak English :lol: :lol:

8. Free Christian

Free Christian Puritan Board Sophomore

:lol: Carn Stephen, spell them as you say them now...."Delit thu Inglush bet." You don't want to have people falsely believing you guys pronounce things properly! :wave:

9. Sensus Divinitas

Sensus Divinitas Puritan Board Freshman

English -- Native speaker

German -- Took six years of German. I speak it fairly well but it gets rusty since I have few occasions to use it. But, I do listen to German music, read German books/publications, and travel to Germany so it never goes away.

Koine Greek -- Just what I've learned in seminary. Fairly basic at this point but want to expand.

Want to learn:
    Middle German -- I've just barely begun learning some basic Middle German

Latin -- Currently I only know a few theological phrases/terms

Hebrew -- I plan on taking this in seminary

10. Stephen L Smith

:lol: :lol:

11. yeutter

yeutter Puritan Board Senior

I know English. Well, I also know a little German, and Spanish, and Latin, and Thai; but not enough to count.
    My wife, however, is fluent, speaking, reading and writing, in her native languages of Burmese and Nepalese. She also is fluent, speaking, reading and writing, in Turkish, Hindi, and English; and fluent speaking only in Kachin. She is close to fluent, in speaking, Thai and Finnish. She also speaks some Hebrew and Arabic. She also converses easily in Punjabi, and Urdu; but she says that is just a carryover from speaking Hindi and Nepalese.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  12. yeutter

yeutter Puritan Board Senior

Australians, Scots, and those from Ulster, say they speak English but it is far removed from the English spoken in North America.

13. Leslie

Leslie Puritan Board Junior

English, native speaker
    Dutch when I was a child, self-defense against parents telling secrets
    German in college
    Amharic, the Ethiopian trade language, just the numbers and some greetings at present, but I understand a lot with context.
    Wolaitta, the local tribal language, level 3+, about. I use it every day.

14. kainos01

kainos01 Puritan Board Senior

English - native
    My college major was Classics (Attic Greek and Latin) - 60 semester hours, still "fluent"
    French - 2 years in college - conversational speaking; near fluent reading
    German - 3 semesters - can read with occasional help from a lexicon; can communicate haltingly
    Hebrew - 2 semesters - not so strong these days :(
    Russian - self-taught, only enough to handle the basics of general conversation
    Tagalog, Burmese - just enough to greet and ask "how much?"

My wife is fluent in Tamil and Malay (in addition to English), with a smattering of Mandarin

Oh, and my igpay atinlay is really strong :)

15. Free Christian

Free Christian Puritan Board Sophomore

I know Thomas, how hard are they to understand? :) That's because we have turned it into something beautifully poetic! :lol:

16. Scottish Lass

Scottish Lass Puritan Board Doctor

Native English speaker

Four years of high school German, but my teacher was from Alabama and rarely made us speak it in class, didn't instruct via immersion, etc. Maybe 100 words left.
    Two years of high school French, two years of college French---can read slowly, speak basic phrases
    One year of high school Latin

Working on Spanish via DuoLinguo

One semester plus self-taught ASL (American Sign Language). Hearing loss is genetic in my family, plus I have childhood damage/loss. We had already planned to sign with Gracie, so it was a huge help when she was a late talker. She and I still sign a good bit (esp in church---Sit! No talking---listen to Daddy!), and I sign during the library story time.

17. Peairtach

Peairtach Puritan Board Doctor

I've studied Latin, French and Gaelic, but, to my regret, have not applied myself to my studies.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.