What is your ONE TOP recommendation of a must-read book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andres

Puritan Board Doctor
This thread is sort of piggy-backing off this one. What is one book that you think every Christian needs to read and not just read, but have on their bookshelf for future reference? I know there are tons of good ones, so here are my stipulations to this thread. You can only recommend one book in your comment. You cannot repeat a book that someone before you has already listed. If you find that you just love someone's previous recommendation so much, then I'd encourage you to "like" that post. This should give us a good list of solid books that are recommended by the wise counsel of the PuritanBoard. And we'll even be able to see which have the highest number of likes, which will be the most recommended.

I don't know about must read, the only thing we ever really need to read is the Word of God itself.

However.....(haven't gotten around to reading them all myself)

John Owen: Mortification of Sin, On Temptation
Thomas Brooks: Precious Remedies against Satan's devices
William Gurnall: The Christian in Complete Armour
John Bunyan: The Pilgrims Progress
Jonathan Edwards: Selected Sermons (or any other collection of his sermons), Religious Affections
J. Gresham Machen: Christianity and Liberalism
John Calvin: Institutes of the Christian Religion
Martin Luther: Bondage of the Will
John Foxe: Foxe's Book of Martyrs
Matthew Henry: Commentary
Aquinas: Summa Theologica
Anselm: Cur Deus Homo (Why God Became Man)
Eusebius: History of the Church
J.C. Ryle: Holiness
Westminster Divines: Westminster Confession of Faith/Shorter and Larger Catechisms
J.I. Packer: Knowing God

Perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to reflect the stipulation for posting, in bold letters, in the description.
Anyway here's my one:

Our reasonable faith- By: Herman Bavinck

Good idea, Colin - I amended the thread title. I would like to take this opportunity to invite people to read the first post, and not merely the title of the thread, before replying.

You can only recommend one book in your comment.

I don't know about must read, the only thing we ever really need to read is the Word of God itself.

However.....(haven't gotten around to reading them all myself)

John Owen: Mortification of Sin, On Temptation
Thomas Brooks: Precious Remedies against Satan's devices
William Gurnall: The Christian in Complete Armour
John Bunyan: The Pilgrims Progress
Jonathan Edwards: Selected Sermons (or any other collection of his sermons), Religious Affections
J. Gresham Machen: Christianity and Liberalism
John Calvin: Institutes of the Christian Religion
Martin Luther: Bondage of the Will
John Foxe: Foxe's Book of Martyrs
Matthew Henry: Commentary
Aquinas: Summa Theologica
Anselm: Cur Deus Homo (Why God Became Man)
Eusebius: History of the Church
J.C. Ryle: Holiness
Westminster Divines: Westminster Confession of Faith/Shorter and Larger Catechisms
J.I. Packer: Knowing God

Sean, I say this with all due respect, but your post is an EPIC FAIL!! :lol:

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

I amended the thread title.

Thank you.

So many, far too many, good books to choose from. I am going to go with a book that the Lord really used in my life. It changed the way I saw God, read the Bible, and worshipped the Lord.

Desiring God--John Piper

Book

This thread is sort of piggy-backing off this one. What is one book that you think every Christian needs to read and not just read, but have on their bookshelf for future reference? I know there are tons of good ones, so here are my stipulations to this thread. You can only recommend one book in your comment. You cannot repeat a book that someone before you has already listed. If you find that you just love someone's previous recommendation so much, then I'd encourage you to "like" that post. This should give us a good list of solid books that are recommended by the wise counsel of the PuritanBoard. And we'll even be able to see which have the highest number of likes, which will be the most recommended.

The Beatitudes by Thomas Watson (1620-1686)

The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions edited by Arthur Bennett

Wow. My #1, #2, & #3 choices have already been taken.

1. John Owen - Mortification of Sin
2. John Calvin - Institutes
3. Jeremiah Burroughs - Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment

Those 3 books made a huge difference in my life. There are definitely more. But perhaps I'll list a more recent book that made a big impact in my life. And that is:

Joel R. Beeke - Living by God's Promises

What a great book that was/is. I will definitely be reading that again. And I urge other Christians to read it as well. You will be utterly blessed.

My top two were already taken. ( JB Rare Jewel being first)

Hub's top pick was taken.

My pastor's top pick was taken as well, although he would add Edwards "The End for which God created the World"

I know that a former Prez ( or was it Dean? ) of WTS thinks Religious Affections is the greatest book ever written by a human being.

I love threads like this! But how can you pick just one? It is like picking only one of your children!

I suppose the "Banner of Truth Catalogue" would be cheating. Though it is most helpful, not to mention expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back